Semi-permanent 10m sotabeams pole

Antenna weighs 3kgs without coax and wind load…

No. Or yes, but not for very long. For assorted definitions of ‘very long’.

Yes… that’s what I was wondering. Thank you for the reply.

Oh well, I’d better go buy another TV mast before all the shops close :astonished:

One of my other temporary masts is a TV pole that goes into a rotary washing line hole in the ground… Does the job but it’s only 15’ and means more £ :joy:

1 Like

im also using “temporary” fishing poles for 5-6 yeas now… all good. I do have a mast that I can install finally on the roof! :slight_smile:

I agree, Tasos, all good. I have been using a fishing pole as a permanent mast for many years. One snapped in a gale a year ago, it had been in place for many years.

Image result for garden gnome fishing

8 Likes

Now we’re back to 45 degree polarisation!

3 Likes

Wax is handy for easy undo-able glueing of the joints.
(also for potting things instead of silicones and urethanes)

You can put the coax up the middle for less windage - foam coax will be lighter. Perhaps a thin teflon coax for the top couple of metres where the ID is less. (you can probably slide ferrite beads on there too, to form the balun inside the pole.

Make sure your thin wires are guyed with thin shock cord or weights/pulleys so the tension is limited when things move.

2 Likes

I’m using the same Sotapole for my permanent antenna while in Isolation in Roswell NM. 10m pole with packtenna 30 ft endfed bungeed to the side as a vertical. It outperforms my “permanent” hygain 18VS by 4 s units. No tape or clamps. I just pulled the sections real tight. Full disclosure - the wind can blow mighty hard in the desert and over the last four months, I have had to bring it down twice to reset the joints.

Damn good antenna pole!

2 Likes

Hi all

I have now got the pole set up in place for the centre of my lightweight dipole. I used pvc tape to tape the coax to the pole, which seemed less hassle than routing it down the middle.

I now want a second 10m pole but SOTA beams don’t have any. Any recommendations (UK) for a second one?

I’d like 7-8m of useable length, to hold the end of the dipole leg.

Recommendations please :slight_smile:

Try this UK company - always found them reliable and excellent quality. Life’s a Breeze:

https://lifebreeze.co.uk/collections/telescopic-flag-pole

Limited stock due to Covid-19!

73 Phil G4OBK

1 Like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Telescopic-Fishing-Poles-From-3M-to-10M-Margin-Pole-Roach-Pole-Tele-Pole

I have got 2 10meter poles from the 5 years ago and still standing and another one last week. For a second antenna.

404 :frowning:

Peugeot 404
404 Peugeot
was a nice car :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Never seen a Pug 404 in the UK. Seen them in mainland Europe but never in the UK. Pug 504’s are another story… plenty of them back in the day in the UK. My XYL’s uncle had a 504 diesel wagon. He was a farmer and loved it as you could get many sheep in it and loads of hay etc., it could cross fields and the engine and gearbox was indestructible. It was getting on for 15 years old and 280k miles when it went for scrap. The only way to kill that diesel engine was to crush it!

According to Wikipedia there are websites that show a picture of a Peugeot 404 on their 404-page not found pages. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Phil, that looks like just the ticket.

My 10m pole is now sitting on top of a 40mm tv pole for extra height :grinning:

I’ll have to wait for a good windy day to see how it copes.

As they say, if it doesn’t fall down then it wasn’t high enough!

1 Like

Sorry! This should work