Scary big GM/WS summits

Hi Caroline

Thank you both for the contacts today. I’m glad you survived the tumble and eventually enjoyed the summit…you sounded in great form when I spoke to you. There was rapid QSB on your signal but as luck would have it you came up to 5/5 during our brief contact.

73 to you both and take care.

Allan

I’m sorry to have missed you - I was cooking dinner!

How old is the picture of the abseil posts? :wink: think those abseil posts have been gone a long time ago John. Or are these new ones?

The abseil posts were removed about eight years ago, having become unsafe. They had always received criticism for being in the wrong place and were installed when the use of crampons was (believe it or not!) considered unsporting in Scotland! I believe that a marker for the descent point was installed, anyone got a picture?

I’m sorry as well! I wasn’t cooking dinner, but was sat in front of the rig listening to S9 QRM/QRN on both 60m and 40m. Sometimes I wonder why I bother switching the rig on. :frowning:

I sympathise: we have the same problem at home and when writing up my log of my first activation of this trip I realised that my previous log entry was from our previous trip.

I should have noted that the signposted path up WS-042 from South Ballachulish is advertised as closed until December this year.

Many thanks for the heads up on that Caroline. I will put those on the “next time” list. The list for September is forming… :grinning:

1 Like

The signposted path is not the only route to WS-042. Another popular one is from the east. Go into Ballachulish and follow the side road that heads south, west of the river, it becomes a track and after a km there is a ridge leading up to the summit of Sgorr Bhan and then the very photogenic ridge curving round to WS-042. The ascent is a bit scrambly near the top but nothing too technical. There is also a path up the north ridge of Sgorr Bhan parallel to the direct ridge to Sgorr Dhearg starting from by the war memorial but I don’t know if this will be affected by the forestry work. If they are clear felling they make such a mess that the path may be u/s for a long time - and then they will plough over it for re-planting! I remember them doing that over the path from Tyndrum that I was trying to use to get to Ben Lui, SS-003, it was taking so long to negotiate the furrows that we gave up and explored the lead mine instead!