Saw this today on Reddit

Posting for info and relevance, not to take a position

But oh, since you asked… Isn’t that what the difference in points is for? Not sure I get the problem they have.

Edit: you can’t really offset geography so much with points, so there’s not really much that can be done.

The poster did not identify with a name, region, or call sign, so I’m not sure it is worth a reply. They say their region has “alpine glaciers and numerous summits with elevations over 1200m/4,000ft”, which should narrow it down a bit. Not W6, for sure. Maybe Canada?

Probably a CW operator, because of the handle “PTT not 4 me”.

Anyway, looks like someone who doesn’t understand the rules and purpose of SOTA. The banding is kind of a mess for the entire Pacific Rim, where regions go from sea level to mountain ranges in a few hundred miles. I’d complain about California (where I live), but Alaska trumps that convincingly.

By the way, I totally own the banding in W6 because I was part of the group that worked on the 2012 revision that added 3510 summits.

wunder

3 Likes

Ignore it Mark, its a troll post. If the guy had a serious need to discuss his point with his peers in SOTA he would do it here.

1 Like

“Criticism is an indirect form of self-boasting.”
– Emmet Fox

2 Likes