SatsAndSOTA

Hello, I intend between Oct.30. and Nov. 03. to activate some SOTA-summits. This time also via FM-Satellites. Nice would be a s2s over satellite. Interested activators?
73!
Andy

1 Like

Andy,

A satellite is in essence a repeater, which would not be valid for SOTA activations.

Regards,
David
G4ZAO

Maybe a re-reading of the rules is in order ? :slight_smile:

Dr. David, I think QSOs via terrestrial repeaters do not count, via SATs do count?!
73!
Andy

Andy,

My apologies, I didn’t realise that.

73’s
David
G4ZAO

You’re not the first person who’s been caught out by that rule!

1 Like

Sometimes very strange rules, hi…

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

I used to think it was strange until somebody explained that you had to track a satellite in three dimensions while correcting for Doppler shift while operating and keeping a log, all with only two hands! A completely different animal to working a terrestrial repeater, don’t you think?

1 Like

As for me SOTA is an individual challenge - not a competition! That is why I do not compare my achievements to others and why I do not claim any points…

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

SOTA is not a competition, so the claiming of points (which is part of SOTA) therefore can’t be a statement of competition. Near on everyone uses the points to track their own progress towards their own goals. So not claiming points is orthogonal to the discussion about whether SOTA is a competition.

Well, points always offer a simple way to compare achievements and comparing achievements is only one small step away from competition.

But as you said: SOTA is not a competition! :slightly_smiling_face:

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

SOTA is by definition an award scheme, awards are earned by achieving set targets, the achievement of those targets is defined by gaining points. Now I, for one, believe in personal freedom. This personal freedom gives us the opportunity to treat SOTA as a competition or as not a competition according with our own wishes. Any ham can take a radio up a hill or mountain and make contacts, I was doing it myself for twenty-odd years before SOTA came into being. All SOTA does is provide a structured way to take radios onto summits and make contacts. This structure involves recognition of achieving targets, it does NOT give recognition for beating competitors. Any element of competition is not in the format of SOTA, it is in the minds of participants.

1 Like

Having said that I wonder if there is a special reason why SOTA challenges have to be difficult (sat repeaters) and must not be easy (terrestrial repeaters).

73, Alfred, OE5AKM

Because if it’s easy, it’s not a challenge :slight_smile:

(That sound I hear sounds awfully like a dead horse being flogged)

1 Like

But there are so many easy SOTA summits, aren´t they?

EOD, I am bored.

73, Alfred, OE5AKM