Satnav question

Hi,
Most of the notes on the summits give a suggested parking place and the OS reference for it…
Very helpful.
If I bring myself into the modern centuary and go and buy myself a cheap Tom Tom £100 Halfords…do they have the search facility for the OS references??
Thanks in advance,
John

In reply to G1STQ:
Hi John If you buy the Tom Tom you can down load the file that takes you directly to the parking spot.I use it and it works a treat .Atb Geoff G6MZX

In reply to G1STQ:

http://www.sotabeams.co.uk/cards.htm

Scroll down to get the SOTA TomTom PoI file.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G1STQ:

John,

Richard’s POI file is excellent. However, you may wish to ascend a summit from a different parking spot, so do browse the map on the satnav and zoom in to check what it shows against the OS map (Get-a-Map extract or whatever).

If you choose to use a “non-CWI” parking spot, then the grid reference can be converted to Lat / Long using one of the free conversion programmes on the internet. The co-ordinates can then be entered into the satnav and stored as a “favourite”. The newer satnavs may be able to take the OS references directly, but my dynosaur requires Lat / Long.

73, Gerald G4OIG

P.S. Most likely you’ll wonder how you could have done without it!

In reply to G4OIG:

In reply to G1STQ:

The
newer satnavs may be able to take the OS references directly, but my
dynosaur requires Lat / Long.

I purchased my first satnav about six years ago, it was an HP Ipaq and Tom Tom software, costing over £600 IIRC.

However, this pales into insignificance when compared to the £2700 I paid for my first mobile phone, back in 1987 :frowning:

It was a state of the art Excell M2.

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/images/I050/10319040.aspx

The phone came with two antennas, a quarter and half wave. The standby time was a joke at about eight to ten hours and the monthly phone bills were horrendous …anything between £300-£400.

I still own this phone complete with the executive case it arrived in. The last time I looked, the batteries were well shot and the quarter wave antenna was missing.

P.S. Most likely you’ll wonder how you could have done without it!

I’ll second that, Gerald.

Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G3CWI:
Cheers for the answers, but how do I download/instal a poi file, what ever one of those is…

In reply to G1STQ:

Have you read the fine manual (RTFM) that came with your GPS?

If you have and isn’t explained, then you need to say which GPS you have and what OS your computer uses. Then we can make some suggestions.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Not spent the beer tokens yet :frowning:

In reply to MM0FMF:
Andy,
It’s probably going to be a Tom Tom Start or Start2…

In reply to G1STQ:

Do you know what you want the SatNav to do and do these models support those features?

Andy
MM0FMF