RU A SOTA W A S PERSON?

That’s a very welcome addition as I had often tried to see what state a summit was in.

I also welcome how many of the USA chasers send their state code after the RST on CW. I got a real buzz when I was sent CA for the first time as you cannot tell from the callsign any more. I also like working @NE4TN because I know instantly he is in Tennessee!

1 Like

I am no expert on SOTA ref numbers but for the most part you can tell what state
the summit is in by the ref number. I look at the “street map” and zoom in to look at
the county lines, etc. Some of the summits are on county lines, state lines, etc.
I suppose if you were to be real nit-picky you’d have to ask the station what side of the
hill he was on to be sure what state or county he was in. As for the chasers, I suppose
a QRZ lookup would do the trick. Most base stations are not on county or state lines.
In the USA-CA Award system, if a mobile station is on a state or county line, he counts
for both counties and states.
And I don’t like the “new” way of having any call sign in any call area in the USA. As you say,
you can’t tell where anyone is anymore.
John, K6YK (Still in California)

2 Likes

Not sure it’s new in any way.

If you moved from Cal would you happily return your 1x2 and get a new 2x3 in your new call district?

2 Likes

Phil,
I have 9 QSOs with Iowa activators. Not too many. But there have been some.
That’s all I can say…
John, K6YK

1 Like

Phil,

I’m a SOTA W A S person. But when I realized I can only work 47 states S2S, or even less if I’m working US Associations, I modified my personal goal to Working All States SOTA to POTA. When I’m done, my spider diagram will show 50 individual SOTA peaks in Colorado, each with a line to a POTA park in each of the 50 states. I don’t know of anyone else who is embarking on this goal, but I’d love to hear from you if you’re out there.

Ray

2 Likes

To W6PNG:
I hope I never have to move, at my age. But if I did, the only call I’d accept would
be another “YK” call (K7YK, K2YK, Etc.) which would probably be impossible in
this day and age. In the “old days” it was possible to keep your same suffix if someone else didn’t have it. I didn’t like 2X3 when they came out 65 years ago!

John

For any one looking to flesh out WAS contacts the NA QSO party (SSB) is this weekend.

NA QSO Party SSB

1 Like

Be aware that in my area there are a few summits along the W1/W2 border that can be counted for either state depending on which side of the border marker you’re setup on. Hihi.
Stay well & 73!
Mike, WB2FUV

1 Like

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info and the photo - always good to see what activators look like! I’m working back through my Logger32 log and recording the summits in the STATE field whenever I get an idle moment. I only got as far as 03/11/2023 so far!

I’m relying on the state quoted on the SOTA summits page for accuracy. Here is the example of the last summit I worked you on, W2/GC-054 West Mountain 383m, 1 point in NY:

We’ve had 37 QSOs from 2020 to 2024 Mike.

73 Phil

1 Like

That photo was taken at Harvey Mountain W2/EH-002. It was formerly double-tagged as W1/MB-005. I see the ARRL WAS shows it as Massachusettes (a W1 state). As I recall, at least three summits have border markers inside the AZ, namely Harvey, W2/EH-002; Big Misery, W1/MB-023; and Berlin,W2/EH-001.
Thanks for the contacts from across the pond!
Stay well & 73!
Mike, WB2FUV

1 Like

Hey Phil, I know you have NM because you were my first DX QSO during an activation. It was a while back. 4/10/2018 W5N/SI-010 14MHZ 1719z. Thanks for chasing me back then. I was a great thrill.
See you soon
Tim - K5DEZ

Wow, Yes Tim. State entered into log just now. TNX for the info! That’s a rare one for sure state wise and summit too - Palomas Peak. Very grateful for the tip off :+1:

73 Phil

1 Like