Rod M0JLA Double MG!

Hi Rod,

I managed to achieve Mountain Goat just before I started by first ever job 4 years ago. Most of my activations before Mountain Goat were while I was at school followed by 6th form and then my last few activations up to Mountain were in between finishing 6th form and starting my first ever job. Since then I have not done as much activating due to working full time.

Jimmy M0HGY

It can be done even if you have full time jobs and live in East Anglia…

For Caroline and me, it has meant in effect dedicating our holidays to SOTA. Since we exclusively went on UK walking holidays pre-SOTA, that wasn’t that much of a big deal.

Only one of our activations has been a day trip from home!

Martyn M1MAJ

I see where you are coming from Martyn. There are activators who were walkers / fellwalkers / climbers (outdoor types) before SOTA came on the scene. Some of us are those. The other category are radio amateurs per se who did not partake in these pursuits before, but because of SOTA do so now.

I, like you, now link the walking holidays (often with my unlicenced XYL unlike your Caroline who is licenced) we took before SOTA, now with SOTA. As a result I have given up trying to walk all 15 UK National Trails and other long distance paths. The main reason we gave up walking National Trails in 2013 was because of SOTA.

As Jimmy M0HGY has found, life changes lead you down different paths so to speak, and this affects whether you can do more or less SOTA than you did before.

We are straying a little off topic now, so while I am here I offer congratulations to Rod M0JLA for joining the 2000 club last month - no award available until the 2500 point is reached, see you there soon Rod!

73 Phil G4OBK

Hello Rod

I would like to add my congratulations on achieving your double MG. I would also like to thank you for all the contacts with you and Viki while I have been stomping around Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire. Hopefully there will be many more while I am on my regular trips to family in Gloucester.

73 Nick G4OOE