Revisiting the G/SP summits

My “SP Revisited” campaign resumes tomorrow (Wednesday). Other things got in the way for a while. Probably Winter Hill. I will post an alert.

2 Likes

Winter Hill G/SP-010 Another splendid day on the hill. A rather longer walk in than usual (from the bottom of Coal Pit Road - due to CV19 restrictions). Pleasant in the sun with a breeze to keep things bearable. Plenty of activity on 2m SSB with 15 contacts made before I started overheating. The FT817 internal battery was still working well. As usual Don G0RQL was the best DX. I had an nice long chat with Dave GW4GTE about the early days of SOTA. I was surprised and disappointed to miss Brian G8ADD but I have plenty more SPs left to do.

3 Likes

I tried, but 2 metres sounded like a double-header climbing the Lickey Incline! I think I know which house it is coming from but they were out.

G/SP-012 Easington Fell was yesterday’s entertainment. After a conversation with a very confused gentleman at the parking spot (didn’t know where he was or where he was going) I set off for the summit. I have always found it interesting as just how similar this hill is to its near neighbour Longridge Fell, the woods and path seem nearly identical. It was hot and with a super high UV warning I was keen to search out some shade. I tucked in close to a wall and set up there. As on Longridge Fell, I set up just before the woods to get a clear path to the Midlands and Devon to favour my two keenest chasers. After putting on my spot, my iPhone gave up briefly. A message appeared on the screen saying that it was too hot - never seen that before. I was grateful for my small amount of shade even though the radio and my knees remained in the sun.

It was fairly slow going with just six contacts in the log. I seem to have accumulated a small band of regular chasers now. That’s nice - thanks chaps! Don G0RQL made it into the log as usual but no other DX was worked or heard. Two chasers asked if I had heard Brian G8ADD, but sadly once again I drew a blank. Called in at my daughter’s place in Manchester for a cup of tea on the way home. Probably be next week before I get out again.

Click here for 360 degree photo.

IMG_1281

Left to do:
G/SP-001
G/SP-003
G/SP-006
G/SP-007
G/SP-009
G/SP-011

3 Likes

All being well I hope to restart my SP campaign tomorrow. Things have been unexpectedly busy on the family front as I am now a grandparent.

9 Likes

Bravo Richard :+1: and compliments :tulip: :rose: :hibiscus: to the parents !
73 Éric

PS : I need only 3 more SP summits :
G/SP-003, G/SP-010 and G/SP-012
Please take an HF wire antenna in your next trip, I’ll be very happy to work you Richard

1 Like

Congratulations Richard! :grinning:

1 Like

G/SP-009 Hail Storm Hill. Never a great favourite of mine, I decided to approach the hill via a longer mountain bike route. The plan was to test out a few things: getting the bike in the car, carrying the 2m portable gear on the bike and (for the drive there and back) an offline satnav app called Sygic. Basically, getting to the summit was horrible. The surface was dreadful to ride on. Not dreadful in an interesting and challenging way but dreadful in a monotonous and uncomfortable way. I was very relieved to get to the top.

All went well on the radio. A big surprise was two 2m SSB 2S2 contacts! That was very welcome - thanks folks. 8 QSOs in total. Best DX was Don G0RQL. I spent a significant amount of time calling CQ towards the Midlands but sadly missed G8ADD once again.

On the way back I chose a different route. This was significantly worse than the route up and I spent some of the time face down in a peat bog. Anyway, I have managed to refine how the bike fits in the car, the radio part went well and the offline satnav was good (testing for activating in more remote areas).

Left to do:
G/SP-001
G/SP-003
G/SP-006
G/SP-007
G/SP-011

1 Like

Which is a pity because once I had got a phone charger (not mine!) turned off and got the band usable again, I could just about hear you working someone at about 11.50 but you then vanished. Better luck next time - but I’m going to have to gift someone a noise-free charger!

1 Like

Buy them a new one that is quiet/quieter?

Thanks for the s2s Richard.

It was a day when I had the choice to concrete a path or activate a summit. With so many s2s possibilities and Viki M6BWA/p wanting Hafod Ithel GW/MW-029 from Moel Hebog for a complete the activation won :grinning:

As can be seen from the pics I took everything except the kitchen sink but most of it fitted in the large rucksack and the rest was easy to carry the short distance to the summit. It’s an easy summit so I decided to make myself comfortable with the FT857 for a little extra power and a suitable camping chair to relax in. I was using 20 watts into the SB270 when I spoke to you, not at an optimum height as I brought the wrong pole…it worked nevertheless. My biggest fright of the day was Don G0RQL letting you know that I was calling…5/9 off the side of the beam Don :grinning:

Anyway, a good but rather chilly morning on Hafod Ithel and thanks to all the activators and chasers for the contacts.

Now back to the concreting…

73 Allan GW4VPX

Comfortable office

Couple of extra layers today!

3 Likes

Man with TWO poles… very posh :slight_smile:

1 Like

The whole world has two poles!

1 Like

N & S :shushing_face:

I that this has gone really quiet since the end of July Richard, have you given up with re-visiting all of the G/SP SOTA summits this year?

Jimmy M0HGY