Reviewing P100 for England

In reply to G0AZS:

Sorry for O/T, I was looking for likely summits for my next DL trip & it appears DM/RP-389 & 466 are in effect the same hill.

In reply to G1INK:
Ah well that’s the “beauty” of statistics Steve. You can choose the data that supports the points you want to make by applying appropriate filters. Isn’t it great?

73 Marc G0AZS

Edit: Thanks for the DM “heads up”. I’ll let the team know.

In reply to G0AZS:

This may be a case in point!

I finally got around to looking at summit density figures, they are quite interesting. To keep it simple, I just looked up the surface area of various countries and divided it by the number of SOTA summits. This gives the number of square kilometres per summit. These are the results:

Germany (both Associations) 31
Finland 266
England 73
Hungary 38
Netherlands 10386
Belgium 1908

On this basis England is worse off than some P100 Associations but not too badly. However, I then tried a look at the north-south divide. I didn’t have time to search out exact figures, so I assumed that the two halves of England divided by a line from the Bristol Channel to the Wash were approximately equal in area. On this basis the figures are:

England North 47
England South 1630

Of course, this only tells us what we already know, but it quantifies it for us.

My conclusion is that the figures suggest there is some justification for adopting P100 for the G Association, but if we divided the Association into two, there is full justification for P100 for the south, and still some justification for P100 in the north.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

if we divided the
Association into two

Why stop there Brian? As a Norfolk man (feeling hard done by) I suggest that instead of any specific prominence, your new schemes is based on the reciprocal of your “square kilometre per summit” measure and the adopted prominence measure within (say) each 100x100 kilometre square is selected to give the same number of summits per unit area. That would allow Norfolk to claim as many mountains as the Lake District which would obviously be far more fair :wink:

http://www.teemarto.com/p274/Norfolk-Mountain-Rescue-t-shirt/product_info.html

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

They stole the idea for that T-shirt from a friend. He made his in 1977 before T-shirt designs had become the industry it is now. How do I know it was 1977? Well he wore it at a Queen’s Silver Jubilee street party much to his mother’s disgust. An elderly neighbour thought it was great for a young teenager to be showing support for a worthy cause till her husband pointed out Norfolk’s geography to her. Her disgust in all teenagers was restored!

Andy
MM0FMF