Return of the Cloud

This Megalithia thing is OK up to a point - but it rounds everything to a six-figure NGR, and as a result chops a significant 18m off the ASL of The Cloud. Even so, the path remains obstructed and I guess it’s a pretty good contact :wink:

In fact I’ve just tried entering the antenna as 22m AGL to correct the error - it doesn’t make much difference to the overall path!

Wonder if we would have made it on SSB? I’ve worked stations in London and Gillingham on 2m SSB from The Cloud before.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Wonder if we would have made it on SSB?

I doubt it this morning Tom. It was cans on and volume up this morning… much to the annoyance of my young daughter who was tapping my arm demanding breakfast as I was keying!

When you were working Dave G0AOD, I could “sense” something and thought it would need to be one of those “ESP” CW QSO’s but you came up nicely just as you called CQ again.

73 Marc G0AZS

Yes, I turned round to beam your way Marc having heard something under Dave that I thought might be you.

Any requests for tomorrow folks? The choice is:

40m CW & 40m SSB
80m CW & 80m SSB
2m CW, SSB & FM

If you’re going to be up, tell me what you’d like to work me on. I can only do one of the above three options, and I can’t make my mind up. So I’ll let those intending working me decide!

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Hi Tom.
I would like to try 80 m cw again. I have today modified my dipole, its now 2x16 meter with open feeder (thats all the space I have got - last time it was 2x10 meters) and it looks like good progress.
Condx on 80 seem to be excellent tonight.
Anyway, you will certainly announce your decision on an alert, so I will see…
Good luck
Mike

Well, 80m is in a clear lead on my “first past the post” vote now Mike, so could well be. Yes, I will post the alert tonight about 10.30pm.

Tom

So 80m it was, as a result of a landslide election victory. Sadly, the stunning views of the glacier-like mist carpeted valleys and the spectacular red sunrise were not repeated. It was just generally murky, much to the disappointment of the photographer up there to try and recapture the previous day’s vista. Still, his big alsation dog was clearly happy to be out and about.

I was actually QRV right on time at 0600z today, and my first call was answered by LA5SAA, the campaign manager for the 80m CW lobby. A run of seven ensued, before I QSY’d to 3.660MHz SSB. Here I worked six station, half of which had already been worked on CW earlier. A final switch back to CW brought HB9DOT, but no-one else. A final switch back to SSB brought no-one at all.

I packed up, and checked on S20 and the GB3MN repeater for any potential 2m FM contacts prior to descent. Nothing doing there either, so off to work with five minutes of slack time to spare, which was spent by stopping in Chell for a bacon & cheese oatcake.

Thanks to all callers and spotters.

Tom M1EYP

I intend going up tomorrow morning before work. If you are thinking of getting up early to work me, tell me what you prefer out of 80m/40m/2m.

Cheers, Tom

In reply to M1EYP:
Hmm… 80m CW or 2m CW (vertical again) would do for me Tom, provided tomorrows breakfast circus gives me some time. Maybe see you in the morning.

73 Marc G0AZS

I thought the breakfast circus had beaten you (and everyone else) when I called twice without reply on 3.554MHz CW. But there you were on the third call, followed by Daryl G0ANV. But, that was it on CW. Switching to 3.660MHz SSB, I enjoyed a nice run of five contacts. Received signals were very good on Cloud summit, but some chasers were battling hard with QSB.

It was a dullish and murky morning, with uncharacteristically poor views across Cheshire and Staffordshire. Quite a contrast to the spectacular sunrises of last week.

Many thanks to everyone that called in this morning. Sorry to 9A4MF who request a QSY to 40m, but I only do one band or the other in the mornings; there isn’t time to do more and still get to work on time. I’m really enjoying doing this every morning again, and now have the alarm for about 5.45am to give me a little more slack in my aim to be QRV as soon after 7am as I can. I think I might start taking a small flask of coffee with me.

Anyway, I did get to work on time, did the daily quick-change from my walking gear to my suit, but also added a Macclesfield Town FC football scarf. The bragging rights were mine this morning, and I couldn’t let the opportunity pass!

Requests for tomorrow? Just one cast vote has been sufficient to secure the previous two elections. 9A4MF - shall I put you down as a vote for 40m?

73, Tom M1EYP

40m it is. I’ll kick off around 0600z on 7.032MHz CW, and if I have time I will try around 7.095MHz SSB later. As always, I’ll give a quick call on 145.500MHz FM just prior to descending.

Cheers, Tom

In reply to M1EYP:
Sorry will miss you again Tom.
Just setting off to take dog for a walk (5:30z) before leaving for work (06:30z) :frowning:

Roger G4OWG

Hope to work you today before for walking out the door for school. Also does anyone know when Tom is coming down to ssb.

Tnx
M3XFG

Well it’s time to go to school.

I don’t like it because I never get to work you Tom early because I always have to go to school.

Tnx

M3XFG
Tom

In reply to M1EYP:
I was listening for you on 7.095MHz from my car on my way to work but could not hear you. Did you operate SSB?

Will try again some other morning.

Mads
LA1TPA

The activation today comprised 8 contacts on 40m CW into LA, HA, HB, S5, SM & DL, and then two on 2m FM. I was looking for a suitable SSB QRG between 0615 and 0625z, but couldn’t get one. On three occasions I thought I had got a clear frequency, but in each case, by the time I was halfway through the self-spot, some loud stations had come up. 7.095MHz was in use throughout; the frequencies I “found” and was partway through self-spotting were 7.055MHz, 7.080MHz and 7.115MHz. But alas not.

However, this neatly makes my decision for me for tomorrow. 80m, with SSB going first. See you on 3.660MHz +/- QRM.

Many thanks to all that called today on activation number 666 :wink:

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:
Did look for you this morn on 40 .But I must agree it was a bit crowded around 7.095 Atb geoff.

In reply to M1EYP:
Hi Tom,
Tom (M3XFG) and myself will be looking for you on 80m in the morning. Poor lad having to go to School when there’s radio to be had! I guess you know that feeling though???

Cheers!

James G7MLO

James, I get that feelng every morning at 7.35am when I reluctantly get to my feet and start winding in my aerial on The Cloud!

Tom

In reply to M1EYP:
Tom, we couldn’t quite hear you this morning. Never mind, we’ll keep listening in the mornings.

Cheers

James & Tom
…>>

Funnily enough, I couldn’t quite hear you two either. Which is hardly surprising since you didn’t hear me and therefore never called. I was certainly looking out for the two of you though, and did open on SSB today before going to CW.

Despite a very late night, not off to sleep before 1am, I was up and feeling fresh as a daisy at 5.45am this morning. “Burning the candle at both ends a bit aren’t we?” mumbled Marianne, before turning over and going back to sleep.

Having selected the side of the topograph I was going to sit for optimum shelter from a chilly wind, I erected the pole and 80m dipole, and made my first call on 3.660MHz at 0607z. John G0TDM in Penrith came straight back, heading up a run of four completed by Richard G3CWI in Macclesfield.

Down to 3.554MHz CW, and again the first call was answered, this time by LA5SAA, another of the regular early morning callers. This was the start of eight QSOs on CW, but the pile-up was worked down by 0628z. I returned to SSB for another shot at working James and Tom. I did work three more G stations - but not James and Tom.

Enjoyable activation, and not a soul about this morning. Thanks for the calls amd spots.

73, Tom M1EYP