RBNHole

Thanks Andrew, excellent job!

We today’s early birds unfortunately could not yet benefit by RBNHole.
Therefore, a special thanks to all spotting chasers!

1 Like

Well done Andrew, a superb job! We CW guys have been missing RBNGate. I rather like the name RBNHole, very amusing.

73 Andrew G4AFI

Thanks Andrew could I suggest RBNCockiesGate made to suit any size hole.
regards
ian CZ e e

I apologise to the early birds :smile:

I had a problem getting the thing to actually spot, so obviously had to iron that out first. On the plus side, you were great test data! On the negative side, I could see you in the rbn data trigger a spot that just wouldn’t post.

1 Like

Many thanks Andrew!
“It will try to spot you within a 2 hour window of your alert”, does that mean ETA +/- 2 hours or ETA +/- 1 hour?

73, Andy DK7MG

Should be +/- two hours, but there may be bugs :smile:

I’ll ignore that subtle and slightly insulting dig and accept the offer of beers :smile:

/me goes back to his CW training app as he tries to do Rich proud

1 Like

Thanks Andrew, this is a great help and much appreciated.

73’s Nick

Andrew,

Thank you for this incredibly positive piece of work! I can see the spots earlier today, and late in the day (27 Jan).

When I was out activating today, between 1856 and 2042Z, I called CQ for many minutes - I was on 5 bands at a wonderful radio site, with a good setup. I just looked at my RBN spots, and they are really nice on every band I was onI However, I was not spotted at all by RBN Hole. Perhaps the system was down during my time on Horsetooth Mountain? Please tell me if that’s why I wasn’t spotted - or is there another problem,

Thanks to the several chasers who spotted me after finding me - I stuck to the plan of my alert, and several chasers found me where I said I would be!

In any case I plan to be out again tomorrow, so we’ll try it again.

George
KX0R

Yeah, sorry, minor glitch - the connection into the RBN dropped while I was asleep. Restarted this morning. I’ll keep an eye on it to see how flaky that aspect is.

Looking at your great job Andrew, it’s just a bit ungrateful/unfair that on SOTAwatch repeatedly incorrect comments such as “RBN wrong” or “RBNHole wrong” be made, if the cause is clearly an incorrect made/managed Alert!

Andrew, going forward I wonder if the code could be designed so that one or more mirror sites could be set up to also be running RBNHole. In case one of them goes dead, the other(s) could take over.

73, Barry N1EU

1 Like

Hi Andrew
Next beer is waiting for you here, thanks for another great job!

Cheers mate
Toru JH0CJH

The system is a stop gap until we get the source from Eric’s estate. At that point we can decide how we will go forward. Until then we have a rough system that is a bit noisy but does work.

1 Like

Hi Barry,

The aim is for us to obtain Eric’s source for RBNGate and get it up and running on a proper server; thus, RBNHole can disappear into the abyss it probably deserves. Certainly redundancy is something we’ll consider.

Cheers,
Andrew

I have not used it yet but thanks in advance!

Andrew,

Wow! When it rains it pours! Today I was out on another great summit, and I got spotted like crazy on every band! I knew it immediately, because the chasers were piled up all over me within a minute of calling CQ! What an amazing experience to be up sitting in the warm sun on a snowy summit, and the receiver is just loaded with calls!

Thank you for restoring most of what we lost so quickly! Today was totally awesome! It was a quiet weekday, and those spots did the trick!

As a chaser, I think the multiple spots clutter the monitor, but that’s a minor problem! Those fast spots are key to chasing multiple stations in a short time, etc.

You definitely got results for me!

Thanks also to the many chasers who spotted me as well!

George
KX0R

Excellent news. Look forward to using it in anger soon. Thanks.
Pete

BIG thanks, Andrew! Look forward to using it on next summit.

Best,

Ken

But now, HB9BIN on two Band QRV simultaneously :confused:
20160130/14:55 and :57???