RBNHOLE Nuisance

Several times I failed to post an alert or spotting did not work for some reason.
Once I did it on purpose just to see how it looks like to activate a 10-pointer without RBN generated pileup.

Endless CQing produced disappointing results.
Eventually I DID manage to qualify the summit, but the qso count was very poor.
Back at home RBN search proved that my signal was good all the time - people just do not tune up and down the band as before.

By the way, I am not satisfied with just qualifying the summit (making those 4 qsos and a bit more). I enjoy the pileup and I am satisfied with my activation when I have at least 30 qsos in the log. Therefore I appreciate very much the existence of RBNGate/Hole.

73 Fric YU1WC

Thank you very much. That is very helpful (unlike the sarcastic comments from certain ā€œfounder membersā€). I had not been aware of this application before, and it is very well documented. I shall enjoy using it.

Walt (G3NYY)

In an ideal world, that filtering would all be part of SOTAWatch itself. Itā€™s my first choice if Iā€™m doing serious chasing.

I agree itā€™s a nuisance. Did my first ever CW activation yesterday and do you think I could get my own software to spot me?? Bloody cheek of itā€¦

I would have loved three CW spots! Luckily I had phone coverage and a spare pair of underwear. Apologies for the bad CW to those I worked

1 Like

Guys, guys, guys, the problem isnā€™t with RBNGate or RBNHole, the real problem is all these activators using CW. I donā€™t speak beeps!

But in all seriousness, is there a way that RBNHole can make sure a summit reference is valid before spotting? Or I suppose SOTAwatch could also make sure the reference is valid before allowing the alert to be posted. Iā€™ve seen several alerts and spots go through with summit references along the line of ā€œW9/WI-0xxā€. I can see how some activators may like people to know they might be out on a certain day but havenā€™t decided on a particular summit yet, but people being spotted on non-existent summits isnā€™t helping anyone.

As I understand it the spots from any of the automated tools are based on a combination of:

a. an alert normally posted in advance by the activator, for a specific summit (or a generic code)
b. the RBN detecting a cq from a callsign that matches the activatorā€™s callsign and approximate frequency

When those conditions are met, the automated spotter posts a spot for that callsign, and assumes that the alerted summit code is correct. It has to spot using some summit code or sotawatch wonā€™t allow the spot (but should it allow the generic code like w7/?_*?)

To prevent generic summit codes, the automated system could either ignore alerts without a valid summit code, or the sotawatch alert posting system could refuse them in the first place.

Andrew vk1da/vk2uh

http://reflector.sota.org.uk/search?q=G3NYY%20%26%20RBN

Very few things are perfect in this world, and as RBN Hole was produced as a stopgap, I think we are lucky to have it.

I have found it very helpful as an activator.

I am sure there are many of us who would like an RBN Hole with all the bells and whistles, but at the moment at least we have the capability, which I am very grateful for.

73ā€™s
David (G4ZAO)

2 Likes

Why isnā€™t this useful? The point of a spot is to tell people about activity on a frequency. You get the summit reference from the activator.

2 Likes

Sometimes.

True, with some activators NEVER giving the summit unless you asak for it!

Brian

So what youā€™re saying is that during a contact you ask the activator for the SOTA reference, and the activator gives it to you. What a shocking state of affairs.

4 Likes

Umm, last time I was up on Titterstone Clee Hill, I had a complete blank as to the SOTA reference, despite having been up there many times. I had to ask chasers what it was!

The joys of a new paper logbook with no previous entries in, no phone signal, and getting olderā€¦ :frowning:

Don
m0hcu (I think ;))

2 Likes