RBN Spots ?

Well done!
I always send by hand, either activating or chasing.

While listening to another huge zoo on 40m band this morning during a SOTA activation carried out in EA, I thought about possibly creating a poll here to find out how many operators send their morse by hand (straight, vibro or paddle) and how many send with the help of a computer, memorized messages and the like. The question would go to activators and also to chasers.

May be I’ll do it one of these days…

Guru

3 Likes

That’s absolutely true and the time needed to complete a journey is less.
But it’s essential not to loose concentration and also not placing the right foot away from the pedals or we may not be able to step on the brake pedal in case of emergency.

1 Like

Try changing out of your walking boots :rofl:

4 Likes

I use a memory keyer for CQ calls if I can, as it sends with perfect timing. Even then, at least one skimmer has to hear you and send your call in to RBN, and there are times, bands and places where skimmer reception is scarce. That’s not usually a problem in Europe. I’ve not checked recently how well Australasia is covered by skimmers…

When activating I send my CQ message from the memory in my KX1, but all the QSOs are “by hand” with iambic keyer and paddles. I don’t see how one could automate the QSOs. Don’t those need to be done by the op?

Hi Scott,
Programs like N1MM, Wintest and the like can do the QSO, once the operator has typed the callsign of the QSO partner in. I seem to recall José @EA7GV has an APP which does the same and he can use it during the SOTA activations. I assume some, if not all, of the several logging apps available can do it.
I suspect some of the chasers in that particular zoo-like pileup I heard on 40m do send with computer and I wonder if they also receive with it.

Guru

1 Like

I’m using the memory keyer a lot, especially once the pile-up has dried up. This gives me time to eat or drink or clean up my log.
But I admit, it requires some discipline (stop chewing when the radio switches back to Rx) :joy:

73, Roman

4 Likes

Same here as Roman has described: When the memory keyer is CQing is the time to grab a bite or drink. On the rare occassions when I operate SSB I leave the summit hungry and thirsty.

73 Heinz

3 Likes

True, it works on Android and through the USB port you can transmit CW. If anyone is interested I can send it to them.
I use memorized messages (CQ, Call + RST, etc) often. In this way there are no mistakes, the working conditions on a summit are not always good. Another advantage is the speed, while I type the callsign the app responds, also with what exactly you enter in the log.
Sorry it was not the topic of the thread, perhaps it would be necessary to start a thread on this topic.
73 José

3 Likes

Now with the cold months started to carry some hot soup for the end of the activation. Helps to warm up :slight_smile: … and not so hungry when reaching the next pub/restaurant… :joy:

Here is the list of Oceania skimmers from RBN this morning.

3D2AG
DU3TW
KH6LC
NH6HI
VK2EBN
VK2GEL
VK3FFB
VK3RASA
VK4CT
ZL4YL

David N6AN

2 Likes