Raw Head lived up to its Name!

Raw Head although one of the little summits, it was close enough for me to get to from Home for my Very First ever Activation.

I arrived in plenty of time to be setup by my alert time but was not expecting the path to be full of snowdrifts some 4 foot deep!!! and this is on the easy path up!!! any way set myself up about 25 meters from Trig behind the very welcome wall, and got comfy, had a welcome visitor. The Raw Head Ranger knew all about why I was here but could not understand why Today in this weather???

Eleven 2M contacts and three 70cm contacts later I knew that I was going to enjoy SOTA!!!

Thanks to all who chased me and thanks especially to GW7AAV for the spot on Sotawatch, had a bit of small but manageable Pile-up HI HI !! A big thank you to Richard G3CWI for the Beam that done all that was asked of it. I have entered all details on Sota Log and as I say A BIG THANKS FOR ALL who made the trip worthwhile!!

Tony
M6ADL

Great stuff Tony. Welcome to the world of SOTA, and thanks for the report. You’ll be addicted after a couple more activations! I assume Shining Tor SP-004, The Cloud SP-015 and Gun SP-013 are now on your agenda. I may try to pop along and join you when you do any of them.

73, Tom M1EYP

In reply to M6ADL:

Congratulations on your first activation it was certainly interesting conditions with which to start on. Pity I missed you on 70cms but I had 70cms tuned to the GB3CR repeater from an earlier QSO. Always ready with the SPOTs as I had a few little panics when I first started, thinking I would not get the hill qualified.

Look forward to hearing you from the hills sometime soon but in better weather.

73 Steve GW7AAV

In reply to M6ADL:

You’ve done it now… SOTA becomes all consuming and addictive in a very short space of time! Congratulations on your first activation and I hope you enjoy the mixture of radio and outdoor activites as much as I do.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to M6ADL:

Congratulations, and well done on your first activation Tony.

I hope the wx is a little kinder for you on your next foray!

Regards, Neil.

In reply to 2E0 TDX: I certainly hope so Neil fingers crossed for Hope Mountain next one out!

Tony

In reply to MM0FMF: Yes Andy Loved it even with the weather been Bad

Tony

In reply to GW7AAV: Thanks again Steve I suppose it was a baptism of fire but things can only get better from here

Tony

In reply to M1EYP: No probs Tom , a seasoned vet like you would be most welcome.

I am planning for Hope Mountain next as its also reasonable close to home QTH.

Will email you when I have a date

Tony

In reply to M6ADL:

Well done Tony, especially the trio on 70cms. I’ll add you to my database. Welcome aboard - sound like the bug has bitten already.

73, Gerald G4OIG
70cms Correspondent
Summits News Team

In reply to G4OIG: Thanks for that Gerald, I would of done better than 3 only I did not swap to my 70cms element on the beam I was TX on the 2M element so reports were not as good plus weather was turning nasty by the time I had those three in the log!!

Tony

In reply to M6ADL:

I suppose it was a baptism of fire

I almost used those words but it was kind of the opposite, a baptism of ice maybe. A new term is needed here.

Steve ;0)