Rare summit

On Monday 2nd May, Jimmy and I will be activating Swinside G/LD-057. This is a rare one for chasers, only previously activated about 10 times. Furthermore, there has only ever been 23 QSOs on 40m CW - usually the most common combo for SOTA chasing.

Therefore I hope to have many calls on Monday and to work down a big pile-up! My call will be MR1EYP/P, and Jimmy will operate as MR3EYP/P on 2m FM.

This summit is on private land and permission from the estate is required to access it and to operate, so it may be a while before it airs for SOTA again.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

I wonder how many contacts Bill managed this morning. Watch out for ticks hiding in the bracken, they`ll be hungry.

In reply to G1INK:

Are those the special breed of ticks that bite people who have dined at Lymm Truckstop anytime during the previous week? :wink:

The summit remains as rare as it was on 40m CW. We’ll be having breakfast at Tebay.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

Even rarer on 160m.

Any chance of top band Tom ?

Mark G0VOF

None - sorry Mark.

Top band is on the “to do” list this year though, hopefully ready for late Autumn.

Tom M1EYP

In reply to M1EYP:

No problem, hopefully catch you on 40m CW.

Mark G0VOF

In reply to M1EYP:

What antenna are you thinking of, Tom? I’m thinking of adapting my W3EDP with a loading coil in the counterpoise.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

G’day Brian

I’m thinking of adapting my W3EDP with a loading coil in the counterpoise.

would be most interested to hear how you get on Brian - I’ve tried several times over the years to get my home station W3EDP to tune on 160m without success (note I use a “real” W3EDP with tank arrangement, not just a piece of wire with an ATU…)

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to M1EYP:

Tom & Jimmy,

Great stuff! I hope to work you S2S from Gt. Whernside G/NP-008 using GX7OOO/P (Scarborough Special Events Group) if I am early and you are late - hi hi!

Nick G4OOE

In reply to G4OOE:

How did you get a NOV for G7OOO? My request for GM3PYU was rejected as it was a club call sign.

Andy
Not GR3PYU

In reply to MM0FMF:

Hi Andy

I have received NOV’s for G0OOO and G7OOO and I know of other clubs who also have the NOV.

Certainly some club calls have been refused but that may be something to do with the e-mail address supplied if different from the personal call.

Roy
Callsign holder
Scarborough Special Events Group

In reply to G4MD:

That’s interesting, Paul. I, too, use the “real” W3EDP. I originally got the idea from a PW article reprinted in an “Antennas to Go” supplement. In that article it suggested for Top Band a 132-foot counterpoise but for a hill-top that seems a little OTT hence my thoughts about a loading coil. You might be interested to know that a few years ago I had a very successful first couple of Es seasons on 6 metres with the 817 and a GW0GHF antenna which was really just a variation of the W3EDP with a quarter-wave counterpoise.

In your version of the W3EDP do you use a variable capacitor in series with the antenna? I do and it makes tuning a little easier, one coil covers 80 to 20.

Sorry about the hijack!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G4SSH:

Cheers Roy. I’ve a feeling that OFCOM have changed how they are recording club calls. I can only assume that they think the assorted OOO calls are actually personal not club calls. Certainly the validation document when I transferred my late friend’s call to myself as the holder on behalf of a club lists the call as GS3PYU. Validation docs I’ve seen from the past showed English club calls just as G4??? not GX4???.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I reckon you have the answer there Andy. My validation Docs are issued to G0OOO and G7OOO.

73 Roy
GR4SSH

In reply to MM0FMF:

Andy

I shall now be operating tomorrow and Monday using the GX7OOO/P callsign and I have changed my activation postings to reflect this.

Nick G4OOE

In reply to G8ADD:

What antenna are you thinking of, Tom?

Believe it or not Brian, a resonant halfwave dipole! I am working through considering the challenges that this throws up, but it is an interesting challenge.

Tom M1EYP