Rain needed in SP/NP?

Moor fires starting earlier ?

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

We could do with some up here, Auchnafree was tinder dry on the top. I was able to sit in moss and heather on the peat and didn’t get a wet behind it’s that dry. Scary for these parts!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

There was a small fire on the cloud as well today just before i got there they had closed the road, if you go up the steps towards the summit youll see where an electric line has come down and caused the fire in the wind

i still managed to get past though :smiley: and up to the summit :smiley:

In reply to MM0FMF:

I wish we could send you some of ours!

I drove a few miles to see my mother today and counted four trees down and blocking the road. My old GW0GHF 6m antenna came down, too, but I don’t use it any more, thanks be…

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:

No thanks, we normally have plenty. Though not today… scorchio as they say. I’m quite red even though I’ve had a suncream on all day. The East wind has been fresh all day but not terribly strong unlike down in England. It’s certainly a cold wind though, now the sun has gone is perishingly cold for May.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to MM0FMF:

Brian G8ADD

Many thanks Brian it arrived here safely this morning :slight_smile:

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

11.2mm of rain in Buxton for May so far. (Although we had a bit more overnight) Norm is just over 100mm.
73 John Kettley.

In reply to G1INK:

We’ve had 31.8mm of rain during the past 48 hours here. The rain gods must have known that Tom M1EYP is visiting the south-east!

73 de Les, G3VQO

In reply to G4OWG:
Listening to our local radio station, And they said that the fire was started by a cigarette from a passing car. Just think of all the wild life that’s been killed or injured, Wouldn’t like to walk through all the blackened moors at this time with the rain that fallen over night,
Steve m0sgb

In reply to M0SGB :

I did the Lyke Wake Walk with my climbing club in the summer following the drought of 1976, and had to walk through many square kilometres of burnt ground: in places even the peat had burned away and that wasn’t too bad, but the blackened areas were dusty and frighteningly lifeless, it was like the aftermath of a nuclear war. Several people failed to complete because of the dust.

I’m told that it has recovered now, but I won’t be doing it again!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M0SGB :
Agree on wild life and mess left Steve but I think the word ‘possibly’ has been selectively edited from what the fire officer said by the Local Radio Staion ;-(

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

Many thanks Brian it arrived here safely this morning :slight_smile:

I don’t know, we let Gerald into SS land and the WX has been awful since he arrived. Not rain as such but low cloud/mist/haar. It’s cold and miserable but it didn’t stop Gerald polishing off 3 nice 1 pointers in the dreik!

Andy
MM0FMF