Rain & hail stop play!

I was just settling into activating GM/CS-039 on Saturday, 2 VHF contacts, out with the PFR3, 3 contacts in the log and a plie up, then the heavens opened! torrential rain and hail. Had to abandon the activation. Apologies to the chasers who were calling me, fingers were numb and all gear soaked. Have dried out the radio and is working ok. Hopefully next time the weather will be better.
Planning to be out next Saturday so hopefully it will be sunny and dry!

Adrian MM0DHY

In reply to MM0DHY:

Snap! I’d worked about 20 on Sunday when I saw a big shower coming my way. I could hear Andrew GM0UDL on 7.034 and was looking for my 1st S2S on CW and so kept calling as the black mass got nearer.

In the end I left it too late… didn’t work Andrew and got lashed with rain, hail, rain, more hail and rain. No more than 5 minutes from start to finish of the squall. By then I was wet, 25% of gear was wet 75% was packed away. I should have toughed it out and worked Andrew!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

… rain, hail, rain, more hail and rain. No more than 5 minutes from start to finish of the squall.

Hi Andy,

Experience has shown me that if it hails, then most of the time it is short lived. I usually batten down the hatches and sit it out. I wonder whether you had brilliant sunshine afterwards - the sort that leaves you with a feeling of “what was that all about?”.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

No sunshine straight away but it did brighten up later. The wind was very cold and with nowhere to shelter I was just about done anyway. It was missing a CW S2S more than anything that was the disappointment. I couldn’t have stayed too much longer as we were off out to see Dr. Feelgood that evening. Getting wet wasn’t too bad as there was enough wind blowing that I was dry when I got back to the car.

I had a decent enough spread of contacts, 60m SSB, 40m CW & SSB and 2m FM. Nothing on 12m or 10m though.

I’ve got Adrian’s summit down on my “do these soon” list along with the last remaining Drumochter Marilyn, and a few others located by Dalwhinnie.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Not a short lived shower with me. Torrential rain and hail for about 15 minutes then just steady rain for another 20 minutes or so. Dried up by the time we were back at the car!

I think I have now ticked off all the Drumochter SOTA summits. Ticked off all just about all the hills nearish Inverness. Having to go further afield now! Next weekend down near Breamar for a friends (Colwyn MM6YCJ)last Corbet.He has accompanied me up quite a few SOTA hills and eventually succumed and got his foundation call in January. I guess he needs a new challenge now he has ticked off all the Munroes and Corbetts! He can do them again now!!

73s
Adrian
MM0DHY

In reply to MM0DHY:

Whenever I’ve been out SOTAing near Dalwhinnie, Carn na Caim has been in and out of the cloud. I’ve done Sgairneach Mhor, Sow of Atholl together and they were clear all the time yet Carn na Caim was in and out of cloud. Yet every time I drive past on the A9 and I’m not going walking the sun is shining over it.

When there’s a bit more light I’ve got Beinn Udlamein and Geal Charn down to do as a pair. I did Geal Charn last year but it’s not hard so I’ll roll it into the walk to Beinn Udlamein. Carn na Caim is just across the A9 and then there’s that Munro and Corbett by the aquaduct where the water appears to run uphill just North East of Dalwhinnie and that’s all the easy ones done.

It sounds so easy when you just list what you’re going to do like that! :slight_smile:

Colwyn has been in touch and he was delighted with some of the links to mapping services and datasets I pointed out to him.

Have you replaced using the 817 with the PFR3? Or do you take both with you? Or just the PFR3 and a handy?

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I did Geal Charn last year but it’s not hard so
I’ll roll it into the walk to Beinn Udlamein.

Had a nightmare of a time up Geal Charn a few weeks ago. 3 Hours to the summit and came away with just 2 contacts. Deep snow and poor viz made it not so easy :slight_smile:

Will do it again later in the year to see if its any better

Adrian
MM0TAI

In reply to MM0FMF:
I just take the PFR3 and a handheld these days. Still trying to master the CW! The PFR3 is less than half the weight of the 817 and much less demanding on power! I am off ski touring in the Alps over Easter and am planning to pack the PFR3 and a 2.2 AHr Lipo battery. May put a handie in for 2meters but need to keep weight to a minimum to stop me falling over too much!

I will start taking the 817 occasionaly now I have some Lipo batteries, havn’t been on 60m for a while. But quite enjoying the CW challenge and the lighter rucksack with the PFR3!

Adrian

MM0DHY

In reply to MM0TAI:

Apart from a path that’s a bit like chocolate mouse at the bottom it’s straightforward. Balnasporran Cottages>railway crossing>path>bridge>right hand path>chocolate mouse path>up the ridge>admire big cairn>across plateau to summit. Simples! :slight_smile:

The view to Ben Alder is good. Myself and Brian G4ZRP had the view for nearly 10mins before the rain to end all rain hit us. As usual it was sunny when we got to the car!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Sorry I missed you on 40m Andy, I was in the bothy bag from the start due to rain, hail and snow. A good day was had enjoyed the contacts and I do keep going until I here no callers. I did get LA1ENA/P just caught part of his call at first with the other callers. got some good contacts on 30m also and not much on 20cw.
Catch you next time on cw PFR rocks…

Andrew

In reply to MM0FMF:

Well Andy it seems we have wussy hail south of the border! Must say though, it’s a real pain when it pings around and gets in every nook and cranny. I had a very interesting shower on Ros Hill G/SB-009 back in 2006 - near perfect ice balls around 8mm diameter, just like white peas bouncing around.

All this mention of summits is giving me a strange feeling in my inside. Not out again until Easter. Oh well, being at home has some compensations, like the 12 year old Bowmore malt I’ve almost polished off inside a month!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I think I had it easy compared to others who were further North of me. If I’d not had to get back and cleaned up and start cooking a roast dinner then I would have toughed it out long enough to get Andrew in the log if not a few more. But we had to be out the door sharp to get to the venue in Edinburgh.

I’ve not had any Bowmore for 10 years. I did finish a standard 10yr Laphroaig last weekend though. Water of life that stuff. :slight_smile:

For Steve GW7AAV’s benefit (because he likes Dr. Feelgood), a gig review: I haven’t seen them since I was at university, possibly still the best show I’ve ever been to!

They’re not the same without Lee up front. But they never could be. They were, however, excellent. And very loud. I had my earplugs in and it was still really loud down at the front. Excellent set and well performed. Of course nobody can play any of Wilko’s songs properly but the guitarist did them credit. And on other stuff he was superb. So Steve, next time they’re in your neck of the woods you need to go and see them. You won’t be disappointed.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

I’ve not had any Bowmore for 10 years. I did finish a standard 10yr Laphroaig last weekend though. Water of life that stuff. :slight_smile:

Ah now you’re talking! You and I should get together on a summit sometime and maybe attempt to get alcohol poisoning while activating. I went round the Laphroaig distillery in 1971 while on Islay. I spent a great fortnight operating 2m AM on Bute, around Argyll and on Islay and Jura as GM8CXK/P. My friend Peter ran GM3YCT/P on HF and we stayed almost a week on a farm near Port Ellen. It was brilliant - we spent time peat cutting and had several night’s worth of broken sleep listening to the Corncrakes. Eeee, I’ve gone all nostalgic now!

Can’t say the Feelgoods are my type of music, but pleased you enjoyed the concert. Amongst other things I’m currently into Nordic Symphonic and Folk Metal… Leaves’ Eyes, Midnattsol, etc.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to MM0FMF:

slightly o/t - “Of course nobody can play any of Wilko’s songs properly”

Wilko is touring, he played Buxton Opera House a few weeks back.