QSO confirmation marker "*"

The QSO confirmation marker - the * - in the chasers log of the database was disabled in 2009 because of performance problems. To my mind they were solved by the new database but the * is still disabled.
I do not want to bother Andy if I am the only one missing this feature. Does anyone else miss it? It is not necessary each time viewing one’s chaser log, but a button “Check log” to do it manually would be nice.

73 de Michael, DB7MM

I’ve only been active for a few months, so I can’t say I miss it, 'cos I’ve never seen it working, but I can see that some way to cross-check things might be useful, if only to spot the glaring errors I’ve made while transcribing and uploading my logs… :wink:

I would find confirmation markers useful - the confirmed records then become online QSLs that could even be sent to other databases such as the DCL.
73, Jan-Martin

I also find the “" helpfully. So you can see if the QSO was OK because often a Activator (like me) loged an different call to mine and then, the "” is missing. So i can consult the activater-log to see why the “*” is missing and often the loged call is little different to my call. In this case i write an E-Mail (if known) to the activater to correct the loged callsign.
73 and HNY
Peter

In reply to HB9CMI:

Surely it would be nice to have the mark back. That would help to improve operators style. Today we often hear stations sending a report and TU for a non existing QSO while the SOTA activator works another station.

If not wished in the way it was (although I’m sure there would be no performance problems today) another way would be a seperate list of NOT confirmed by cross checking QSO for activations the activator uploaded a log for or after the date of the QSO - no matter of time frame and SOTA reference (there may be a variety of errors in either log).

Just my thoughts …

73 & gl,

Axel Schernikau, DL6KVA
dl6kva@darc.de

Please please please give us the asterisk back!
73 Ruda OK2QA

In reply to All:

Both myself as new Database Manager and the MT are aware that the confirmation marker is missed by very many. As said, it was removed because of the load it placed on the database server. We have a faster server now but before the marker is reinstated, I would like to experiment with various ways of implementing this feature so that it scales with the expansion of SOTA. That way I don’t have to turn it off in the future for the same reason as before.

I cannot give a date as to when this may be reinstated yet. As you are all aware I’ve only recently taken on the Database task and I want to make sure I’m happy with how it works now before I change anything. But as soon as a scalable solution is worked out then the confirmation marker will be turned back on.

Andy, MM0FMF
Database Manager.

Thanks for bringing the “*” back to life.

73 Norby

In reply to LX1NO:And there it was gone again - Hi

In reply to G4WSX:
You can’t always win. It was there, I saw it and I had enough time to apply some corrections to my data :slight_smile:

In reply to LX1NO:

I’m glad it was useful for the short time it was available. It was partly a test I did and partly an error where I forgot to disable it afterwards. Sorry if it built up false hopes. However, confirmation is right at the top of my list.

Andy, MM0FMF
Database Manager