QSL Cards - What do you think?

I used to (back in the 80s) get QSL cards from MW and Band II FM Broadcast stations as I had sent reception reports, normally when the new stations came on air, but quite a few existing stations as well, the IBA used to send me info packs as well, really wished I had kept them now!

3 Likes

Hi Martin,

I must be honest and say I have never sent a QSL card to any SOTA contact yet - not many DX stations either :see_no_evil: it’s finding the time to write them!

But, I used a company called ‘UK Design’ to create mine a while back. You can find them on the dreaded Facebook. My card designs are below, I ordered 200 and still have 200 :rofl: my bad!!

73, GW4BML. Ben

4 Likes

Whilst I don’t normally send QSL cards for my SOTA activations, I do feel the obligation / courtesy to respond with one when I receive one. However, a true SOTA QSL card could only show a picture of the summit the activation occurred on, and as such I can’t really order up a bunch in advance. No worries, I thought, I’ll just get them printed as and when I need them.

The problem came when my local print shop told me the minimum order would be 14 cards. As I’ve only received 4 SOTA QSL cards in the last 2 years, I’ll need only wait another 5 years to require enough cards to place an order. To those four, your card will be with you shortly …

2 Likes

Ben

I want one! Nice design!

Let’s do an interesting QSO. I am going to get some printed in the next few weeks.

Martin

2 Likes

We need to work each other! I would love one of those!

73 Martin

1 Like

It seems paper QSL cards are now fading out, but I will never forget the thrill of receiving my first one, almost 45 years ago, from Canada.

It was in my pre-licensed days and I was using a Realistic DX-100 receiver at the time, with a long wire running down the garden. I was an avid SWL and listening as RSGB Member BRS43027 (having previously joined as Associate Member A8248, 50 years ago this week), sending my own cards occasionally.

On the reverse of his card, Milo wrote: “Wishing you all the best in your endeavours and hope to be able to make a contact with your station once you get on the ham bands”. As an aspiring newbie amateur, I was totally chuffed with that message and still have it in the shack.

My own current QSL card reflects a SOTA theme although I have a feeling I will be left with plenty copies on my desk as fewer and fewer amateurs now want to exchange them. I still enjoy receiving them, though… :grinning:

73 Mike

6 Likes

It’s a deal Martin, but the snag is…. you can’t be on SP-004 :rofl:

1 Like

Your Post reminded me to get some pre-paid envelopes off to RSGB Bureau, which I sent yesterday, Would be great to see if any cards come my way from SOTA Activations,

One thing I always do is reciprocate a card back, best one I ever got was from “The Vatican City” will try to locate it, possibly in a box in the loft, so will get Elaine to clamber up​:wink::heart:.

I do like the variety of cards put on this post, my cards don’t have SOTA symbol on, but still got plenty of them.

Cheers Tony

2 Likes

Ben Touché… you got me there! Leave it with me!

2 Likes

Early QSL card I inherited of G3GB operating from Winter Hill, long before SOTA started.

More up to date QSL card :grinning:. (Lots QSL cards still available :wink:).

As others have mentioned, UX5UO supplies nice cards. I’ve noticed a drop in the amount of QSL cards received since I started Ham radio back in the 90’s.

3 Likes

I hope you used new barcoded stamps.

2 Likes

That is a good point I sent three two weeks ago that were not!

M

Great examples, thanks. Love the the Winter Hill one, that does appeal to the train spotter in me as Richard would say!

3 Likes

Please note as a follow up to my previous post.
I’ve had a notice back from the RSGB that my QSL cards are too large - they are A6 which is a fair bit bigger than that noted on the RSGB response which is 140mm x 90mm. They also require cards printed on 250 gsm which is lighter than the standard 310 gsm, to keep the weight below 3 grams per card.

Regards, Mark.

3 Likes

I did Andy, yes, weirdly I did! Unusually organised here this week at least HaHa

1 Like

I’d like to be able to print labels for QSOs rather than hand write, for the majority of my cards. Anyone using logging software they would recommend for this purpose? I can use Windows, MacOS or Linux for the job.

Thanks, Mark.

If I remember correctly MacLoggerDX prints QSO labels. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Log4OM can print labels for QSL cards.

2 Likes

Hi,
Depends, so what I am going to tell is from point of view of a SOTA/WWFF/GMA/WCA chaser with 95% of all my QSOs falling into that chasing.
My QSL traffic is very low: only 1st contacts, special callsigns within my chasing. So I print my QSLs at home, max 2 cards same photo. Getting photos no problem: own photography or millions available on Pixabay for free.
I sent my cards direct.
There are a few SOTA activators who have explicitely asked to send my card for every sota contact.
What I also do is something special: an activator who is in my chaserlog 50/100/250 times gets an award from me at completely no charge at all.
When on QRZ page of operator is info : telling I do not want qsl I respect that.
My SASE is written in the language of the country the card has to return from(all languages imaginaable)
Outer envelope: country of destination in my language rest address of qso partner in his language, so postal service there has no trouble to read address.
Examples for PO box:
Finland = PL
Kroatia = PP
Hungary = Pf
Latvia = Pastkaste
Italy = CP
Iceland = PH (Ph)

2 Likes

The bands are improving enough that we might pull that off. And I will be on the east coast in December with time to hike a couple of hills…

1 Like