QRP Labs news (New QCX-mini)

Hi all
Latest news from QRP labs :
QRP Labs July 2020 newsletter July 2020 newsletter
73 Éric F5JKK

“Therefore I have undertaken to consider carefully whether it is feasible to produce another batch of the original QCX kits, or perhaps a new smaller layout QCX using SMD components.”

I hope Hans does release a SMD QCX. I would definitely buy one then.

5 Likes

Hi all QCX followers (QCX, QCX+)

You may have soon a Mini QCX :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: his name is QCX-mini !
Take a look here :

73 Éric F5JKK

Edit :
here the message from Hans Summer G0UPL :

QCX-mini update
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 16:23:28 UTC

Hi all

I am excited to provide an update on the QCX-mini project QCX-mini 5W CW transceiver kit

Again to stress: QCX-mini has the same schematic (almost), firmware, operation and performance as QCX and QCX+. It is just a different physical manifestation. This is not a major R&D effort. It is a pleasant breather. The tasks are limited to mechanical re-engineering and some re-documentation later. So please don’t all start yelling at me about what I ought to be spending my time and energy on instead.

To summarize: I laid out a PCB. Two in fact (it’s a sandwich). And got some made. I have ordered two sets of components and one set arrived yesterday; the other (the bulk of the R and C, SMD parts from Farnell UK) will arrive in about 1 week. I designed an enclosure and made technical drawings, and my usual enclosure factory has produced a prototype to my specification, which is in the post and will likely get here in about 2 weeks from now.

So far everything fits together very well and at this stage I do not anticipate any major roadblocks.

It’s a really beautiful little radio! I am looking forward to hauling myself to a nearby mountain to try it out.

73 Hans G0UPL

7 Likes

Thanks for the info Eric. I have already built two “old” QCX and like them very much. Even though I don’t do much CW. The QCX-mini looks interesting. Ideal for SOTA. I continue to wait for the QSX and hope it will be released soon.

73 Marcel DM3FAM

1 Like

Hi all,
Last update on QCX Mini :+1:

here the latest news on dev :

73 Éric

7 Likes

Hi all,
Me too… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
QSX announced 2 years ago, no more news but new QCX versions… Probably marketing reasons…
Being bored wating, i bought a small SW-3B in the meantime.
Nice little rig and 3 bands smaller than the QCX. Not as many features, but who cares on a summit ?

73 Patrick TK5EP

2 Likes

This weekend I just start to built a QCX+ 20m band, It is so big for sota but enought for a field day or for holidays, car, etc.

I will get sure the newest QCX mini when starts to preorder, Only must built the toroids and hardware.

1 Like

I like it and I want one now!

2 Likes

Back to the original QCX… what is the preferred off the shelf case?

I’m very time-poor but cash-rich and so it’s easier to buy a ready to go case.

I think there is one available from QRP Labs. Mine was made by a German (don’t ask me who) and is absoutely fine - it included extenders to compensate for the short pushbuttons and varying lengths of other controls.

Hi Andy
only assembled QCX+ Assembled units
73 Éric

The QCX+ kit has an optional enclosure: QCX+ Enclosure

73 gl, Heinz

Too expensive … build one yourself …
See

For those that have a QCX/QCX+, in a few minutes it’s the QXC Challenge (a.k.a. QCX Party, see QCX monthly QSO party )

I’ll start around 14061.50 at 13:00Z
EDIT : I’m now at 7031.50

Luc ON7DQ

1 Like

I want to buy one, but I can’t decide which band? 20m is the obvious choice, but I really like 40m as well…I wish Hans made the QCX with switchable bands, at least two!!

1 Like

In which case can I suggest 30m then. :wink:

1 Like

Split the difference between 20 and 40meters! I love 30m but around these parts an op can grow old and gray (like me) waiting for someone to work…except FT8

Cash-rich and time-poor Luc, if I had time to make a case I would do but I don’t. It’s the same reason why I paid £5 for parking yesterday so that it would save about 30-40mins walking each way from the free car park to the paid car park. I’d rather spend the cash whilst I don’t have to query it and have more time on the summit that walking up a long private road.

1 Like

@MM9FMF
I know Andy, I"m such a cheapskate!
I have the money to buy any case I would like, but I just like to make it myself (see the case for my ATU-100 in another thread).
My second QCX was a 40m model, and that one is in a D-Link box, it was a lot less work.

@K6SDW
Just a hint : I have used both my QCX rigs on the “one lower” band without much degradation in reception or transmission. The RX input filter is quite wide, and it is still sensitive enough, and the output power will typically drop to abt. 80%, but what difference does 4W or 5W make, right?

I made QSO’s on 30m with the QCX20, and worked EA8 with my QCX40, but using it on 60m !
Harmonic filtering is still OK with the original LPF’s.

If you’re looking for “thrilling” QRP DX contacts, 20m is probably the better choice, but if you want a chance for a QSO day and night, 40m may be a better choice.

73, Luc ON7DQ

3 Likes

Latest update on the QCX Mini:

Production Update 14-Nov-2020

Various issues with component suppliers delayed the production by more than I had expected. Several items (other than the PCBs) needed custom manufacture, in particular the 5K gain pot and the 1602 yellow/green LCD were a bit slow.

Anyway… good news at last…

Photographs received this morning from the PCB Assembly factory show the assembled top and bottom QCX-mini PCBs. 500 of the QCX+ TCXO modules are also completed see http://shop.qrp-labs.com/qcxptcxo - these are also compatible with the QCX-mini. Yellow/Green LCD modules were custom-manufactured in the QY-brand factory for the QCX-mini. This is the same high quality brand we have used for all QRP Labs kits for the last 7 years dating back to the Ultimate3/3S.

These boards should ship from the Far East assembly facility on Monday 16-Nov-2020.

73 Matt
4 Likes