PSK31 from Plynlimon tomorrow

In reply to G4OIG:
Hi Gerald

Battery arrived for iPaq 3950, fitted and working been running 6 hours now and only down to 85%. (not bad for £8).
TX is ok as there is a speaker output but RX is via microphone. Its very sensitive so could be a problem in wind etc. I’m looking at using a set of cheap bud type earphones one taped to iPaq and one for me to listen. Also if I can find a cheap gender changer (9pin to 9pin Din) I can use a G3LIV interface (which I already have) with tx/rx switching on COM1 to control FT-817. Found a cable on E-Bay cost 75p and with p&p under £3. Experiments progress will post findings.

Roger G4OWG

In reply to G4OWG:

You don’t want to bother with isolation interfaces etc. that’s just more weight to carry. Anyway there is a huge amount of snake oil and FUD about interfaces and their transformer isolation normally pumped out by people selling isolated interfaces!

The FMF way. Open the PDA, rip out the electret insert and solder up a thin screened lead with series cap (keep out the electret DC) to the mike connections. Solder another piece screened lead to the back of the headphone socket. Poke a hole in the case of the PDA (it was only cheap) and pass out both leads. Now take your 6pin miniDIN breakout cable from your 817 (everyone has such a beast for experimenting with don’t they?) and connect to the leads from the PDA. Check you can RX PSK on the PDA, you may need to muck about to get the level right and possibly make an attenuator. Now check you can TX PSK by putting rig into TX by squeezing mike PTT and start PDA. Again adjust levels and/or make attenuator. Once you have it proven and levels OK, make up and terminate leads from PDA in 6pin miniDIN. Job done!

The advantage is that if the lead is attached to the PDA it wont be forgotten or get lost. If you have the PDA you can try PSK. No extra interfaces to carry or forget. Simple and cheap. Just like me :slight_smile:

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

The advantage is that if the lead is attached to the PDA it wont be
forgotten or get lost. If you have the PDA you can try PSK. No extra
interfaces to carry or forget.

Inspired! What a good afternoon project. Wish I hadn’t thrown out that old iPaq now =(

Dave, 2W0BYA

In reply to 2E0BYA:
:frowning: mine is still on ex works inventory - they could reclaim it any time.

Roger G4OWG