Problem with images width

Dear all,
I write this post to explain a problem I sometimes have when posting my activation log on my activation reports.
The way I do it is capturing the log as a screenshot at the very moment of uploading it into the database. The I paste it on Paintbrush for later use when writing the activation report.
Since I have Windows XP on this laptop, my Painbrush doesn’t have the feature it has in my work laptop with which it’s possible to reduce the size of the view in order to capture the whole log in one single trim, so I have to capture a long log in 2 or 3 different trims from my Paintbrush.
In the case of my last report, I trimmed one for the top part of the log and another for the bottom part, then pasted them on the activation report and the usual problem is both parts of the log don’t come with the same width, so I have to modify the size of one of the 2 images to match the other’s width.
This is what I initially got with the top and bottom parts of my log in my last activation report. Different widths as expected:

Then I modified the width of the top image in order to match the bottom one while maintaining the same proportion between width and height of the top image.
While in the edit mode, everything looks like the match is perfect, and both images seem to have the same width:

But, after clicking Save and exit, I realised that the top and bottom parts of the log have different widths.

Anyone knows why is this happening?
I’ve been doing this for a long time and it works fine sometimes but it doesn’t some others.
I don’t know what I may be doing wrong.
Anyone can help me with this?

Thank you in advance.

Guru

From the page source it is clear that the image immediately above with the first part and second part is actually one single image. That would mean that when you have two images immediately below one another, the upload process combines the two into one image. Why that process combines them at different widths, I do not know but I suspect that the combining mathematics will take into account the height of the two images or in other words the number of log entries.

Two things you could try.

1. Only use images with the same number of entries - - or

2. Insert a dummy word in between the sections so that they are uploaded as two separate images and then edit that dummy word out after it has been uploaded and has appeared in the reflector.

No idea whether either of these will work but its a case of try it and see.
Jim

Hi Jim,
Thanks for your input. However, let me try to explain a bit better this issue.

In this post it is indeed a single image, but it’s in my last activation report called Mt. Iguste EA2/NV-127 by EA2IF/P on 26/02/2017, from where I took the screenshots shown as single images on this post.

The first image in this original post above is a screenshot I’ve taken while editing my mentionned activation report and right after having trimmed from Paintbrush and posted on the activation report post the top and bottom part of the log.

The second image in this original post above is a screenshot I’ve taken while editing my mentionned activation report and right after having modified the width of the top part of the log image and the height as well into width 441; height 589 keeping the same proportion of the original image, which was width 374; height 500. As you can see in the right part of this second screenshot, the top and the bottom images are looking the same size now.

The third image in this original post above is a screenshot I’ve taken right after having clicked on Save and Exit to leave the edit mode. Then the just editted post is shown to me on the screen and I see to my frustration that the top and bottom parts of the log are still having different widths.

I would do several test to see different ways to fix this but I feel bad because everytime I edit the activation report with a test modification, it comes back to the top of the list and this will surely be annoying to many of you and embarrasing to me.

Is there a way for me to do off-line testing or I can work in some way that the activation report doesn’t come back to the top of the list whenever I do a testing change?

Thank you.

Guru, download a copy of GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) from https://www.gimp.org/

It is available for Windows, OSX & Linux. You will have to play with it and read the guides to learn how the UI works.

I have been using it for longer than I have been doing SOTA which is over 10 years and I have both Windows and Linux versions.

Thanks, Andy, for the help.
I’ve recently got this program installed on my work laptop and have used it from time to time with no issues.
I have just downloaded onto my radio-shack laptop and I got an error message when I tried to install it.

Well, unless you have any other idea, it looks to me like I’ll have to keep messing around with Paintbrush… :frowning:

Cheers,

Guru

Ah! Sorry, I misunderstood.I thought you were demonstrating the problem. Anyhow the page source of the original post shows that the upload ignored your adjustment as the original dimensions are there. I couldn’t read the small print of your post without magnifying it several times - old eyes.

Andy recommended Gimp which is great for image manipulation. My preference for screen clips is picpick PicPick - All-in-one Graphic Design, Best Screen Capture and Recording Software, Image Editor, Color Picker, Pixel Ruler and More which is free for home users as this allows screen clips and a reasonable manipulation set in one product. I use it almost every day to take a screen clip and size it to a particular size.

As for off-line testing you could simply use the PM feature of the reflector for a message exchange between you and Ignacio to try out layouts.
Of course the PM image was captured with picpick and pasted into this post.
Jim

That’s a good idea to try different aproaches without disturbing the whole SOTA community on this Reflector. Thank you!

Given that I coudn’t install Gimp on this machine, I’m going to try picpick now. I’ll let you know…

Thank you!

Guru

I had no luck with picpick either.

After dowloading the file from the site you gave me, I double-click on the file…

…and nothing at all happens.
:frowning:

Well, I dont’ think I’ll spend any more time on this for today.
Thanks a lot anyway.
I’ll let you know if I find something.

Good night all.

Guru

You could try Irfanview. http://www.irfanview.com/

But maybe you need to update that XP with the service pack?

Hi Guru,

From your uploaded log on sotadata, selecting the text rather than the image allows you to insert it into a post as text.

Date:26/Feb/2017 Summit:EA2/NV-127 (Iguste) Call Used:EA2IF/P Points: 2 Bonus: 0
Time Call Band Mode Notes
11:22z HB9BHW/P 10MHz CW HANS,JN47JJ
11:26z EA2LU 10MHz CW JORGE
11:28z EA2DT 10MHz CW MANUEL
11:29z SA4BLM 10MHz CW LARS
11:30z SM7DIE 10MHz CW TORE
11:31z DL2EMS 10MHz CW WALDEMAR
11:31z HB9AGH 10MHz CW AMBROSI
11:34z PA1BR 10MHz CW PASCAL
11:35z DL6WT 10MHz CW HANS
11:36z ON7DQ 10MHz CW LUC
11:37z PA0B 10MHz CW ROB
11:38z DJ9BX 10MHz CW MIKE
11:39z G0FVH 10MHz CW DAVID
11:40z DK1WI 10MHz CW ED
11:41z G4FGJ 10MHz CW STU
11:41z DL2EF 10MHz CW FRANK
11:42z DL1FU 10MHz CW FRIED
11:43z DJ5AV 10MHz CW MIKE
11:43z F5JKK 10MHz CW ERIC
11:46z IZ1UBM 10MHz CW ANTONIO
11:47z HB9FNX 10MHz CW STEFAN
11:48z DL3HXX 10MHz CW LOTHAR
11:50z DL8DXL 10MHz CW FRED
11:57z DL9YEF 14MHz SSB PETER
12:03z DL9RNV/P 14MHz SSB RAFAL
12:08z HA7WA 14MHz CW VIKTOR
12:09z YO2BP 14MHz CW ZOLI
12:10z OE6GND 14MHz CW GERHARD
12:11z OK1DVM 14MHz CW MIRO
12:12z DL6MST 14MHz CW KLAUS
12:13z N4EX 14MHz CW RICH
12:13z ON4FI 14MHz CW KAREL
12:14z OE7PHI 14MHz CW JOHN
12:15z OE5HIL 14MHz CW MANFRED
12:16z DL7URB 14MHz CW ROBERT
12:18z EU2MM 14MHz CW VLADIMIR
12:18z G4OBK 14MHz CW PHIL
12:19z Z35M/P 14MHz CW VLADO
12:20z IK6FWJ 14MHz CW ALESSANDRO
12:21z EA2BD 14MHz CW IGNACIO
12:23z SP9AMH 14MHz CW MARIUSZ
12:25z EA8/PA7ZEE 14MHz CW GEERT
12:26z G4SSH 14MHz CW ROY
12:27z EA2BSB 14MHz CW SANTI
12:28z KI4SVM 14MHz CW PAT
12:29z OE5FSL 14MHz CW FRANZ
12:31z SO9EWA 14MHz CW HENRYK
12:32z I3DBD 14MHz CW
12:36z UX5VK 14MHz CW YURI
12:39z AC1Z 14MHz CW ROBERT
12:41z DF4XG 14MHz CW WOLFGANG
12:42z OE6GND 14MHz CW GERHARD
12:42z HA7UL/P 14MHz CW FERI
12:44z M0WBG 14MHz CW NEIL
12:46z AC1Z 14MHz CW ROBERT
12:46z OZ6ABZ 14MHz CW JENS
12:47z DL7BQ 14MHz CW JOHANNES

by using text, you get around all the issues of screen shot imaging.

I did this using my Ipad. Any computer can select the text off a web page. Might not look ideal…

Great score for one activaton, by the way!

73 Andrew VK1DA VK2UH

Dear all, Mr Stubborn (i.e. myself) has finally managed to figure out the way to have the full log with top and bottom images having the same width. You can see now the just editted activation report looking great with the 2 images having the same width.
The fact is that one of the images can be perfectly modified in width to match the other image width only as long as these images from screenshots taken directly from the sota database have been trimmed out of Paintbrush and pasted here, but it doesn’t work like that when the images are trimmed out of Paintbrush from two different .png files which I had previously created with a screenshot each taken from the sota database.
I don’t know why this happens like this but it does. I let the programming experts to think about it and explain it :wink:
Cheers,

Guru