Pota?

Hi,

After much thought, I finally decided to have a bash at NW-042 Moel y Gamelin earlier today, despite the weatherman suggesting that the idea might be fraught with stupidity.

Never one to follow given advice, I made the trip from my home QTH in my trusty old Land Rover at a ‘sedate pace’.

Parking up opposite the cafe at the Ponderosa (they charge for parking now if over 2 hours), the wx seemed warm but raining. Not too bad, and afterall it has cost me nearlly 4 gallons of petrol to get here so boots on and off I go.

Climbing to the top of the first hill to be crossed, the wind (and rain) made things very difficult. I estimate wind speed to be about 60 - 70 mph and I almost had to crawl over the summit.

A decent into the coll brought no relief. What am I doing here?

With rain coming horizontal and stinging my eyes I manage to squelch over the coll and upto the next hill on-route. No better this one so drop once again before the ascent to the cairn.

Far too windy to be at the top, so manage to get aeriel up just under the peak and I lie in the wet heather for protection. Not nice.

As the cloud descends further, the rain whips up even more I am very pleased to make contact with a number of chasers. Wet underpants brings the activation to an end and I start the walk back.

Out of the cloud comes 4 dirt-bikes going hell for leather. Frighten the willies out of me as I could’nt hear them coming (wind) nor see them (cloud and rain soaked glasses). If I brought my Landy up here I would serve 6 months…

Decided to head back to the car using the right hand path from the top of the last hill - via a huge bolder left there by a glacier. Not as slippy as a straight decent - recommended at this time of year.

Mood cheered up once in the Ponderosa for a pot of tea and a rather nice scone and jam. As I sat there warming my hands on the pot and dripping all over the floor, I think that the weatherman might have been right…

Pubs On The Air anyone?

John

In reply to G1STQ:

Decided to head back to the car using the right hand path from the top
of the last hill - via a huge bolder left there by a glacier.

Glacier? I must have missed that on my numerous visits!

I must try to be more observant next time.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G1STQ:

“Pubs On The Air anyone?”

As long as the beer is POTAble!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G1STQ:

Climbing to the top of the first hill to be crossed, the wind (and
rain) made things very difficult. I estimate wind speed to be about
60 - 70 mph and I almost had to crawl over the summit.

A decent into the coll brought no relief. What am I doing here?

Far too windy to be at the top, so manage to get aeriel up just under
the peak and I lie in the wet heather for protection. Not nice.

So this is your lame excuse for wimping out of activating GW/NW-43 Cyrn-y-Brain?

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G1STQ:

Pubs On The Air anyone?

Sorry, POTA has already been claimed by us flatlanders from East Anglia,

We have “Pimples on the Air”

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G8TMV:

Sorry, POTA has already been claimed by us flatlanders from East
Anglia,

We have “Pimples on the Air”

Careful you don’t lance them with a walking pole!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8TMV:
We’ll have to have PHOTA then (Public Houses)…

I rather like the idea of this.

Maybe you can have an “awful beer bonus” for any pub with no cask ale.

Gerald
2W0GDA

In reply to 2W0GDA:

In reply to G8TMV:

Whisky chasers? :o)

Adrian
G4AZS

In reply to 2W0GDA:

Well, not sure about the bonus, but you could do a dual activation for SOTA and PHOTA from one of the pubs in Crowborough, there must be at least 3 in the activation area.

In reply to G1STQ:
The rather annoying thing is that the old Met Office lads and lasses (with their multi million pound computers) are getting very accurate with their 24 hour forecasts…

It doesn’t mean I always “give in” when they say it will be bad, but if they say it will be bad it almost always is.

Oh, and you probably know this, but wind speed in a col/saddle/bwlch is often higher on the surrounding summits as the wind accelerates as it goes through the narrowing between the hills (Venturi Effect).

Gerald
2W0GDA

In reply to G8ADD:
That’s odd…I thought POTA meant Positioned on the Arse, which is the way you are situated when you unwillingly slide back down from the glacier-boulder to the pub, at which point you conclude nature is trying to tell you to step inside and ingest something more appropriate, constructive, friendly and suitable for your age.
Elliott, K6ILM
Chaser Clown

In reply to G4AZS:

Whisky chasers? :o)

Wrong way round!! Where I was brought up it was the beer that was the chaser. Drink some whisky, savour it, then follow with some beer. Popularly known as a hauf 'n a hauf. See Half and half - Wikipedia and scroll down a bit.
73 Jim G0CQK

In reply to K6ILM:

In reply to G8ADD:
That’s odd…I thought POTA meant Positioned on the Arse, which is
the way you are situated when you unwillingly slide back down from the
glacier-boulder to the pub, at which point you conclude nature is
trying to tell you to step inside and ingest something more
appropriate, constructive, friendly and suitable for your age.

Ah! Gotcha! Cocoa…

Brian G8ADD