POSTPONED - 2m SSB on 27 November? G/GW (or GM at a Push! )

If I can get the rotator sorted in time I will look for you.

1 Like

Every HF operators starts off calling CQ and then stays on the same frequency. However, I donā€™t think any of the notes for HF bands use the same phrase as can be found in the UHF/VHF notes which says ā€œcall CQā€. I guess thatā€™s the bit which needs clarification. Is the implication you call CQ then QSY? If not why use the phrase?

If I get a response from the RSGB Iā€™ll post it on here.

2 Likes

AFAIC, I would no more call CQ and stay on 144.300 than I would on 145.500, but I will be very interested to see the official interpretation!

1 Like

My recommendation is that you still alert for your preferred working frequency, say 144.250MHz and start there. If you can self-spot all the better. If you donā€™t get any response after a few CQS, then call on 144.300MHz where hopefully you will pick up a contact (not necessarily a chaser) and make the QSY to your preferred frequency. If you have to repeat this, then do so.

Although some may hold a different opinion, I recommend you use an antenna with some gain and, if you have the capability, as much power as possible. I use 25W output to a 5 element and it is a bad day at the office if I donā€™t work Don G0RQL in Devon from up in Scotland. Distances in the order of 600km are generally achievable.

73, Gerald

3 Likes

VHF has the added complexity of antennas that have narrow beamwidths. It makes good sense to have a meeting point as you search for contacts.

Yes, yes, yes, once contact has been established. Itā€™s what everyone doesā€¦ regardless of any edict from whatever ā€œauthorityā€.

73, Gerald

P.S. I am not RSGB-bashing hereā€¦ after all, Iā€™ve been a member since 1967 :grinning:

2 Likes

Gerald,

Thank you. It will be 10W into a 5 element Yagi set horizontally as thatā€™s all Iā€™ve got. If time permits I might swap it to vertical and try FM but if I can qualify the summits on SSB that will probably be enough. The forecast is cold!

3 Likes

It is what I personally consider to be the gold standard, but then 2m is not everyoneā€™s bag. Obviously there will be summits where this will be nigh impossible, but I am often surprised by who will come on SSB. Many ops have multimodes monitoring the FM calling frequency in their shacks and they do take the time to flick a few switches and twiddle the big circular thing on the front and look for me down the lower part of the band. Many are using verticals, but from a summit I often work them cross-polarised. Putting the beam vertical and trying SSB is certainly worth a try before changing mode to FM.

See what happens on Saturday. If I manage to get out to a high spot to work you, then I will. The home QTH is not particularly good in your direction.

73, Gerald

1 Like

Thatā€™s getting reasonably serious :slight_smile: If itā€™s doable you should!

Good luck

73 Paul G4MD/G6GGP

5 Likes

Please ignore the 27th, I have decided to postpone things until a later date. The weather forecast in the south west for this weekend, especially the Saturday, is a bit grim with gales and rain. The visit involved a campsite booking so I need to take the decision now to give the site reasonable warning we wonā€™t be coming.

If the forecast changes I might still go out but do it from Kit Hill G/DC-003 instead. Iā€™ll post something on here if this looks like it might happen.

1 Like

Itā€™s ham radio. No matter what you do, someone will tell you that you are doing it wrong.

4 Likes

Yes and when they tell you over the air you are doing it wrong they wont normally give you their call sign. Well I know I donā€™t :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I donā€™t know if you have operated from there before, but the mine chimney appears to be carrying a pager that blocks the receiver on some 2m rigs. Its operation is quite intermittent so you can work around it.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. Iā€™ve operated on HF there a couple of times but not VHF.