Portable paddles (Part 1)

Now that Palm paddles are no longer trading, what are others using for a portable paddle? I put an ad on a social media group a couple of days ago to see if anyone wants to part with a Palm paddle … worth a try!
Before i buy, what do other recommend?

Sean

M0GIA

2 Likes

Hi Sean
try this thread :

73 Eric F5JKK

1 Like

Hi Sean

i am happy with this japanese portable key:

It is available from: mtechnologies.com (morse express) - brand is: GHD Telegraph Keys.
Not cheap (169 US$) but good quality!
73 Bruno HB9CBR

4 Likes

Tnx for the replies, mostly homebrew paddles on that thread Eric, I did make a paddle once but it has gone missing, maybe I will try another homebrew paddle?

That looks like a well made paddle Bruno, never heard of them but will have a closer look.

Sean

M0GIA

Hi Sean

A thought, rather than a recommendation - I’ve noticed that I use my Palm twin paddle key mostly as a single paddle, eg slapping either Dits or Dahs. About the only time I use it in iambic mode is calling CQ!
(but I’m not selling it :wink:

This is largely laziness on my part, in not taking the time to practice using it properly, but also partly because it is easier to do with cold stiff fingers on a summit. On the other hand, I find that sending at 16 to 20 WPM, which is about my comfortable range, and exchanging the small amounts of info that I typically do, iambic would be no great advantage.

So, if I were looking to build or buy a new paddle, I’d probably be investigating a single paddle, which is rather more simple to build, and should be a bit cheaper to buy.

As I say, just a thought, YMMV.

Adrian
G4AZS

2 Likes

I concur, especially after my awful sending yesterday. It was bitterly cold and 45mins of operating in “Steptoe gloves” was the limit. I have a new pair of Thinsulate lined fleece gives which helped to warm my fingers but I could barely anything through them let alone the paddle tips. A single paddle probably would be easier in those circumstances.

1 Like

Sounded ok to me Andy, despite the QRM / QSB !!

Many thanks for braving the cold.

DAVID
G0FVH

100% agree Andy. I use a single paddle Bushwacker from AME on a homebrew leg mount and even with my really thick winter gloves I can still send at 25 wpm. This paddle has a good size “blade” which makes it easy to use with gloves, I made the leg mount out of 4mm perspex and it also has an old Casio watch on there for timekeeping. American Morse Equipment - Bushwacker Sideswiper/Single Lever Paddle Kit

73 Victor GI4ONL

7 Likes

Flattery will get you everywhere with a vain peacock like me!

The more I think about it the more I realise that in the Summer or when it’s warm I send using iambic keying and when it’s cold I treat the paddles more like a single lever and it’s probably down to lack of feeling from cold or thick gloves.

I have a 1-metre length cable between my Palm Pico and KX2. If not too cold, I use the Velcro leg strap (see photo) which works fine whilst sitting or standing. In cold weather I have the paddles inside my winter jacket side pocket on the metal plate. I rest my ring and little fingers on the plate to stop it from moving about when keying.

3 Likes

Hi all,

I made these of a relay :slight_smile:

they work great and cost nearly nothing :slight_smile:
See my QRZ page for more info.

ON6UU

12 Likes

The paddles and keys from americanmorse.com are well made and not expensive.

4 Likes

Hi OMs!
Try to visit my page ok1qo.com - wow - jambic, elekeyer with 4 memories, straight key! You are welcome!
73 de OK-land, Jan ok1qo

2 Likes

That is AAA cell to give a size comparison. £16.03 from a chap in CZ. I was a little concerned about the action as it uses micro switches, it works just fine.

Sean
M0GIA

3 Likes

Hi Sean
FB :slight_smile: Can you put a link for this CZ paddle please ?
73 Eric F5JKK

PS: the thread Replacements for Palm Keys was closed at 83 ! why ?

1 Like

Hi Eric

https://ebay.co.uk/usr/hamshop.cz

That’s the shop on eBay, looks like they have sold out. Has a website too.

Sean
M0GIA

1 Like

Many thank’s Sean - 73

1 Like

Hello all, we have also magnetic paddle MK2, with better gold plated contacts and 3.5 mm jack. Will be available soon, work in progress… I hope 20 PCs will be done next week…

73 Ondra OK1CDJ

13 Likes

Paddles from OK1QO are GREAT !!

1 Like

Thank you for your compliment, Ondra!
Folks, see my “ok1qo dot com” for info and for contact.
We (ok1cdj and ok1qo) work parallel and in PEACE!
73 de Jan ok1qo