Poor On-Air Behaviour

In reply to MM0FMF:

I would ask ssb chasers (I can’t speak for the cw club), to please only send their callsign once when calling. I find the majority of chasers are an easy 5/9 copy so shouting their callsign two or three times is only creating qrm and wasting time. Any chasers with weaker signals for whatever reason can be worked later as I usually stay around until the frequency goes quiet. I should be out now as 12m is full of JA’s, however some of us have to work :frowning:

In reply to G1INK:

It isn’t that simple, Steve. To at least some extent it is not the fault of the chasers. Many activators don’t end their contacts with a QRZ: if they say 73 there is a chance that the unheard chaser might be on a final over, you give a call, the activator is silent, so you pause and then call again. This sets off another chain of calls…

To get best operating from the chasers it is essential to have clear signals from the activator to guide the callers. A QRZ should be the signal for a call, not a pause or a 73, and an occasional callsign and location wouldn’t come amiss, either! Without such signals chaos is more likely to occur.

Brian G8ADD

Nothing will be changed if you wont name those stations.
73 Viktor

In reply to G8ADD:

It’s the VK Activators I feel sorry for, Brian. Most of us wish to work as many SOTA chasers as possible, however, once a VK callsign appear on the dx cluster, all EU semblance of sanity flies out of the window and the usual scrum follows. I’ve been rag chewing with a VK chaser and as soon as I say 73’s all Hell breaks loose, with stations calling under the misapprehension it’s the VK’s frequency.

From experience, VK, like the EU activators are always looking for s2s contacts and so it may be a good idea for the Activators embroiled in the middle of a pile-up, to call “any s2s waiting”, from time to time. This should be helpful, particularly to the QRP Activators who are fighting the big guns.

The jungle telegraph is also an excellent indicator as well as the SOTA or Rucksack Radio spotting services (subject to a signal being available, of course).

Just my 2¢ worth.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

Mike, there are lots of naughty CW ops. Ghost QSOs, calling out of turn, incessant calling. Just SSB in fact.

In reply to HA5LV:

You’ve got to be sure before you accuse Viktor.

But today on 40m there was a classic example of poor SSB operating. Several stations call, I tell one to stand by and tell another to go ahead. I find if I tell the station who I will work next but one to stand by, they are ready and I can work people quicker. It requires all stations who called in to my QRZ to be able to hear me though and there was a station who couldn’t hear me properly. He heard his callsign and therefore I must be calling him in. Why? Because he heard part of his call? I told him to standy by but he could barely hear me. Sweet Baby Jesus why was he calling in the middle of a pile up if he could not hear me clearly. The obvious thing is to wait to the end of the activation when there is no panic, no pileup. Then we’ve got all the time in the world to repeat details and he wont be doubling with someone who could hear me.

THIS IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! This is common sense.

Andy
MM0FMF

Just don’t work them Andy. They soon get the message.

In reply to M1EYP:

I think Tom has summed it up nicely.

Steve
MØVFR

In reply to M1EYP:

If they aren’t hearing you properly they won’t get the message!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to M1EYP:

You can’t work them anyway when they can’t hear you properly. Also you can’t get it across to them that you are ignoring them. It’s a no-win situation. All they do is create QRM for everyone else and waste time.

If someone that can hear you is persistently calling over QSOs trying to muscle in, then I’ve always found that halting the run of QSOs and taking time to throw my rattle out of the pram bears results. Some activators may be intimidated by having to do this, especially on CW, but it certainly makes life much easier afterwards!

73, Gerald G4OIG

POSTSCRIPT 1200UTC - I heard a classic today just before I worked Heinz HB9BCB/P (HB/AI-001) on 14MHz. Heinz clearly asked for the call of an OE7? An OK2 responded. Heinz asked again for the OE7. This time the OK2 was accompanied by the OE7. Heinz clearly stated he was working the OE7 and that QSO was completed, but I reckon there will be another phantom QSO going onto the database quite soon!

A new experience for me today…

While I was chasing from home, working Andy 'FMF who was on a summit, another chaser insisted on giving me a report while Andy was transmitting, even though I asked him several times to stand by. I made sure I gave my call in phonetics and explained it was the other station he needed to work but he just gave me the report again. Much chuckling ensued…

In reply to GW8OGI:
Every day occures if there is a “73 TU E E” someone starts to TX his call regardless if it was from the activator or not.
73 Viktor

In reply to GW8OGI:

If only I could have videod my comments from up on top of Maiden Pap! Priceless stuff. I’ll check to see if he logged a QSO with me.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to GW8OGI:

I am surprised you were chuckling Ian. It was an utter shambles and an exhibition in very poor operating standards. Back to school for him, I think!

After he had disappeared, I had another joker causing issues when I was working Andy. I can cope with it as a chaser, but I do feel for the activator who is looking for straightforward contacts with as many people as possible. I ended up working Andy again on CW as I wasn’t 100% sure I had my report right on sideband.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:
I could just hear him. What was funny was he couldn’t hear Ian nor me properly. Yet he thanked Ian for the Qso. What qso !

When I get back from my meal I’ll see what his confirmation stars look like and who he logged.

Andy
MM0FM
IO88

In reply to MM0FMF:

When I get back from my meal I’ll see what his confirmation stars look like and who he logged.

Andy
MM0FM
IO88

Ooops, you’ve lost your F while oop north. Hope it’s not permanent. Maybe you were rushing to see whether haggis was on the menu again tonight… or maybe a nice piece of venison. :wink:

Well, I had a quick look at the database myself and his entries are actually in the GW table, not under G and there’s nothing recent. Maybe he wasn’t actually chasing. It was totally bizarre. All I can say is I admire Ian for his patience.

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to MM0FMF:
As long as private e-mails are sent by the MT to the hams not behaving properly, I fully agree with such proceeding.
On the other hand, I don’t believe public exposition of recordings made by individual hams or explicit mention of their names, callsigns, not even their prefixes, are things that will help to solve the problem.
I think it’s fair that individual hams talk direct but politely to the bad behaving ham on the frequency in order to explain what’s going wrong with his behaviour, why and what he should be doing instead.
We must bear in mind that most of the times it’s just a question of involuntary bad operating as he/she may be not experienced or skilled enough, but she/he will surely welcome someone showing him the problems he/she is causing and explaining him how to proceed in order to avoid doing it wrong again.
It may be necessary to teach and explain some hams with lots of patience more than once, but public exposition on this Reflector is something we should try to avoid, in my opinion, as it will surely cause bad mood/feelings and possible revenge wishes to the exposed/mentionned ham, which will worsen the situation for the SOTA activity rather than improve it.
Being comprehensive and helpful towards these hams has good chances of recycling them into good operators and will strengthten the SOTA family as they might end up teaching others sometime in the future.
I prefer this better than kicking them out of SOTA.
This will have to be done, of course, if repeated and intentionned bad behaviour is proven.
Best 73 de Guru - EA2IF

In reply to EA2IF:

Its worth repeating the MTs agreed procedure to protect SOTA as described in an earlier thread, Guru.

Activators who suffer from disruptive operating are invited to send me a PEM naming the station and describing the disruptive behaviour. If a given callsign appears more than a few times and from different activators then I send the disruptive operator a PEM warning him that his operating is unacceptable and that if he continues then the MT will apply sanctions.

If the operator continues to operate in a disruptive manner then he would receive a further PEM telling him that his behaviour is continuing to be unacceptable, and his access to the database has now been cut off, so that he is unable to log any chases and increase his score. However, his access will be restored if he gives assurances that in future he will operate in a more considerate way. If he gives this assurance then his access is restored, but this is his final chance.

Any more disruptive operating and he is removed from the database and his score vanishes. He is excluded from SOTA.

All this is done by private email (PEM), there is no need for SOTA to “hang out its dirty washing” in public! We would announce that a punitive action has taken place but not name the miscreant.

So far only the first stage of action has had to be taken, further action has not yet been necessary, but be in no doubt, if necessary we WILL take action to protect SOTA to the best of our ability.

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G8ADD:
Thanks Brian, for the explanation.
I’m glad to see we are well in phase.
Cheers,

Guru - EA2IF