Playing with WSPRlite

This is 05h utc update.
We can see a plethora of spots all across the USA (except from the West Coast) and the East of Canada.

The averaged reached distance has even increased to 7745 Km.

We can see how the band started to close for DX by about midnight utc down to a full shut down at about 1h30 utc.

Thanks to imagen for the map and data analysis.

Guru

1 Like

The data does show that the band is open quite late in the evening at your QTH. I suspect that the band is unlikely to be open that late very often here at more northerly latitudes. And few activators are out at night.

Hi Richard,
Yes, I also guess that propagation conditions further North will be quite different.
I’d like to see a comparison with different WSPR devices running on 20m in the same 24h time period from several different locations across Europe.
We have Ed in DL, myself in EA2…
Would you like to run your WSPR unit from England?
Any more volunteers?
Let us know.

Guru

I could leave a WSPRlite running over the weekend if you would like?

This weekend is not good for me to do this, but I will be pleased to do it the following weekend and that will give others some time to think about joining us for a multilocation propagation checking on 20m from as many places in Europe as possible. Even places outside of Europe. Why not?
Lets make it a WSPRlite event,:smiley::smiley:

Guru

Hi Guru,
If there others who wish to take part who don’t have a WSPRLite unit, the WSJT-X and other software on PC and Smart Phone platforms can be used with rigs to make them act as WSPR beacons. They will have to use wsprnet.org or wspr.vk7jj.com instead of DXplorer to analyse their results unless they have a DXplorer subscription however.

73 Ed.

For meaningful results if researching conditions, power, antenna types and orientation would need to be standardised too. A wspr station running 2 watts instead of 200mw would be bound to get different results.

I didn’t know this an it’s an interesting information, as there may be several hams wishing to join us for what it might become a Worldwide propagation conditions checking.
I hope many will fancy joining in and sharing their findings here.
I think we could try to establish the basics like date, time, band and duration, as well as output power. Defining conditions for the type of antenna seems difficult as it may become a limitating condition thus putting many of the potential participants off.
My proposal:
Date: Saturday-Sunday, April 27th-28th
Time: from 12h00 utc of Saturday to 12h00 utc of Sunday
Band: 20m
Output power: 200mW
Antenna: preferably omnidirectional

Other parts of the World may prefer a different time for start and end. I think anyone could start earlier and end later if that fits better for them as long as the mentionned 24h from 12h00 utc of Saturday 27th and 12h00 utc of Sunday are comprised in.

How do you see this?
Do you want to make some different proposals?

Cheers,

Guru

Well, this is the final update after 24 hours on 20m.

Neither a single spot from the Iberian peninsula nor from France. Probably due to the skip on 20m. Perhaps a lack of receiving stations too.

The DX10 table remains pretty much the same with very slight changes with respect to the previous one on my 05h00 utc update.

The station KE7A is located in W5 call area and N6GN is in the W0 call area, so just KA7OEI spotted me 3 times from W7 and not any single spot from W6.

This is DX10 graph where you can see how propagation behaved over the whole duration of the test.

As ever, thanks to imagen for the map and data analysis.

Guru

Hi Guru,
It is interesting that you got no spots from Oceania in the 24 hours on 20m which echos what I have seen also this week. It appears that the 3000km MUF on the route from my QTH down to VK/ZL (and yours as well I suspect) does not get high enough before the long path window closes.

The lack of spots from Spain, Portugal and France is as you suggest most likely skip distance related.

73 Ed.

1 Like

Hi Ed,
Yes, I didn’t even mention this in my post because I honestly wasn’t expecting any spot from VK-ZL-JA. Not only due to band propagation conditions, but also the orientation of my endfed wire in the balcony isn’t too favorable.

Guru