Platinum Jubilee

Not sure if most are aware already, but I have only just found out that like the Diamond Jubilee 10 years ago and the Golden Jubilee 20 years ago, you can apply to have Q as you 2nd letter in your callsign for the month of June. Details about this are here Q Regional Secondary Locator - Radio Society of Great Britain - Main Site : Radio Society of Great Britain – Main Site, I may apply to have Q in my callsign as I will be activation some uniques in GM (Scotland) later this month.

Jimmy M0HGY

4 Likes

Yeah, I was going to do it today but forgot. It would have been appropriate, as I was activating Lochnagar GM/ES-008, which sits on a Royal Estate. :crown:

I’m thinking I’d need to set an alias up for spotting purposes?

1 Like

No. Just enter the callsign you will be using in the spot/alert.

4 Likes

Process is easy, only thing you need you may not have to hand is your license number associated with your callsign. (Log into the Ofcom website to retrieve it).
You will be sent your NoV pdf via email within minutes.

I will be MQ0RWX (well mostly MQ0RWX/P) for the entire month of June.

1 Like

Yep, now GQ0MHF (and /P a few times, hopefully) for the rest of the month.

2 Likes

We are heading back to Northumberland today and I too only realized about the Q/RSL combo and applied via RSGB.

Paul
Soon to be MQ0SNA

3 Likes

Activated 2 summits today and on both summits, UK based chasers were struggling with their NoV (Notice of Variation) callsign to mark the Platinum Jubilee of the Ascension of Her Majesty The Queen.

Quite sure that by the end of June everyone has become familiar with their callsign…

2 Likes

Canada has Platinum jubilee callsigns as well.

7 Likes

Hi Jimmy

Just spotted that you will be in Scotland later this month doing uniques. When?? Any chance of S2S - but I bet we don’t overlap. We arrive, hopefully, in Oban this Wednesday, Mull 11-18th, near Pitlochry 18 -25th then a couple of days driving south. I am still very restricted with ankle problems but hope to do some easy hills (ie not much walking - but getting contacts may be a challenge!) and M0JLA will be on Hf (IF it is working!). Hope we can get some contacts
73 Viki

5 Likes

Hi Vicki,

We are in Berwick upon Tweed from Monday 20th June until Friday 24th June and Fife from Saturday 25th June until Sunday 2nd July. As this is a family holiday, we actually haven’t planned which summits will be be activating yet and on what days we will be doing them, but we do have a good idea though of which summits that we will be activating. Due to this, we will not be planning any SOTA activations to coincide with summits to summits. It maybe though that we if happen to be activating at the same time as you and Rod M0JLA, we will work each other summit to summit then, but as I say, we are not planning our SOTA activations around summit to summits with you and Rod M0JLA.

Jimmy M0HGY

2 Likes

Hi Jimmy

We had a SOTA-free holiday a couple of weeks ago based in Scremerston, just south of Berwick. The quiet sandy beaches are fantastic :slight_smile: Hope you get good weather.

Cheers
Rick

2 Likes

Hi Jimmy, I’m near Aberdeen later this month, I’ll try & catch you if I can. I replied to Vikki’s post to that effect a few minutes ago.
73 John GQ0MHF.

2 Likes

Excellent! Keep me, @GM4JXP and @MM7MWL posted!

2 Likes

Will do, thanks Fraser! (Ps-congrats re. the Countryfile SOTA clip the other day!)
73 John GQ0MHF

3 Likes