Planned 2m SSB Activation G/SC-011

Regulars may recall a couple of recent threads on 2m SSB and choice of frequency.

With a good weather forecast for the coming weekend and a family commitment to visit the Bridport area I am going to try activating G/SC-011 Hardown Hill on Saturday morning, 17 December. I aim to start around 1000 UTC and will call initially on 144.300 SSB as there may be non-SOTA operators monitoring this frequency. I will also post a spot on SOTAwatch on another frequency, probably around 144.250. Afterwards, if only for novelty value I will try 2m FT8 and then CW. I will then put the Yagi vertical and end on 2m FM.

Afterwards, around 1200 UTC I will try an HF activation of Christ Cross, G/DC-005.

9 Likes

Nice little bench to work from.

2 Likes

Hi John,

I tried 2m SSB today from G/SE-012, but had no takers.

Will try again from G/SE-001 tomorrow. Aim to be there at about 10am local.

Hope to catch you S2S some time.
73, Simon

2 Likes

I’m going to look for the bench!

2 Likes

I might have the same experience but a weekend should improve chances. Unfortunately, 1000 may be a bit early in the day but I don’t have much flexibility on timings due to other commitments.

2 Likes

HI John

No success so far on FT8 to G/SC-011 . I saw your signal on one interval only at -20 SNR. Still c calling you now. Maybe you see me. I don’t see you. Here 7 eles horizontal pol and 150 watts output.

73 Phil

PS I went on to work M0BKV SOTA Chaser Damien in Cornwall

2 Likes

Aircraft reflection.

2 Likes

15 second of reflection !
a big one :wink:

1 Like

Well I’ve had 30+ second paths on 2m between IO74WV and IO78HF. We normally use AS to work Martin GM8IEM on 2/70 and 23 on things like VHF FD.

2 Likes

Yes Andy it’s true but the phases in FT8 only last 15 seconds, it is better to do FT4 where it is 7.5 seconds

1 Like

Phil,

I saw you call and tried to respond but I couldn’t get the wretched tablet to change over from what it was doing. Its an MS Surface Go 2 and I always seem to have difficulty selecting a call so it populates the set messages with the new callsign. My stubby fingers on the small screen are not very good so I bought a little pen thing which is supposed to work but doesn’t. The key board would be best but I can’t get that to select calls. More practice needed by me I fear.

1 Like

FT4 is a good idea. I will give it a try next time.

I hope you can sort it John. FT8 on a summit cannot be easy, I doubt I will ever try! I looked for you on 144.050 CW after that spot appeared but G4DEE was calling CQ from Near Bury, Manchester, so I worked him instead.

Horrible misty all day in Yorkshire, I believe its been nicer on the west side of the UK today.

73 Phil

2 Likes