Pico del Infierno - First HF Activation

Hi,

The peak of Hell, a summit that lives up to its name. Once done, you don’t want to hike and climb it a second time.

After a long approach with a lot of vertical drop, the reward is with 65 QSO on the 20M and 40M bands

Great weather, fantastic views.

Thank you to all the usual hunters ( Fabio, Pedro, Manuel, Mike, Jean Pierre, Lars, Don, Bill, Kurt, Dinos, Guru….) who are there for each summit and who give me the motivation to go on for more summits.

Also thank you Christian F4WBN for your precious help to log me on the Sotawatch (no GSM network at the top)

73’ Alain

21 Likes

Hi Alain for your report and great photos. Well done with this activation.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

Hi Geoff, since you like the photos, i will continue to put more on the reflector site

:rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

73’ Alain

1 Like

Wow fantastic photos - that’s real mountaineering

2 Likes

Yes it is, and there are still many equivalent peaks in the Pyrenees that have not yet been activated.

73’

2 Likes

Hi Alain,
I was yesterday with my daughters and son in Panticosa and enjoyed the views of the beautiful mountains you have recently walked through and activated. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to activate any of those, as it was family time. Also because I’m not yet in good physical shape as to try any of those 10-pointers.
Panticosa is a few more than 150Km (a 2 hours drive) from my QTH Pamplona.
These were the SOTAs I’ve managed to identify and the pictures I took from the lake by the spa resort.

I’d really like to be ready one day soon to climb and activate all of these.

Guru

1 Like

Yes Guru.
But we must not delay for this year because climbing these peaks of more than 2800 meters can only be done from July to September.
Then it becomes complicated because we go into winter conditions and the equipment to take and use is heavier (mountain ice ax, mountain crampons …)
Panticosa is at 3 hours drive from my home (Bayonne) and I’m ready if you need a partner to go up and activate all these summits together.

73’ Alain

Thank you, Alain. It would be a real pleasure for me to make a joint activation with you and I really hope we will make it some day sooner or later. But those 10-pointers are not for me this year. As you said, there’s about 1 month left (2 maximum WX permitting) for climbing those without all the snow/ice/winter gear and although I’m improving little by little everyday, I’m still in quite a weak physical condition, definitely not able to attempt any of those. All I can try to do for the moment is some of the easy ones near Pamplona with gentle slopes and little elevation gain of just a few hundred meters.
But hopefully, things will keep improving for me and my physical strength will be back to what it was not too long ago. We will then speak about possibly making some of those jointly. I’ll be looking forward to it.

Guru

It looks like a hard work, congratulations!
Thanks for the pictures.

73 Ludwig

OK Guru. It is not urgent . Take your time, it will be a pleasure to share activations. Take care about yourself.
Tomorrow i am going to activate OKORRO in Navarra. I will be happy to ear you calling me…

73’ Alain

Hi Alain,
I recently activated that one. This is my report in case you may find it of help:

I hope to be able to chase you and I may even try to activate something myself in order to try a S2S. But I’m not sure I’ll be able to do it. We’ll see.
Enjoy Mt. Okoro!

Guru

1 Like

Thank’s for informations

See you tomorrow

Alain

Great photos Guru.

73 de Geoff vk3sq

1 Like