Personal transcript of activities

Hi Beni,

Welcome to the herd!

Since my second SOTA activation I tried VK port-a-log and I would never go back to paper.

I’m also a friend of paper notebooks, but keeping the information of a QSO is a very standardized process and therefore perfect for a dedicated software.

Advantages of this logging software (some features need mobile coverage):

• Spotting: After you entered the working frequency in the main screen, swipe to the right, press [Self spot] and then press [Send to SOTAwatch], done.
  • S2S: Swipe to the left, select one of the received SOTAwatch spots, done (all the information, like reference, frequency and first name is then populated on the main screen).
  • You don’t have to write down the time.
  • For most calls, the first name will pop-up. I mostly use the name to make sure I understood the call correctly.
  • Fast upload to SOTA database, no errors when transcribing, etc.

Disadvantages of a logging software:

• When there is rain, snow, hail, …, on your touch screen, the entry is problematic. But this may also be a problem with a paper log.

I always take a second (older) smartphone along with me, not only as a backup for logging, but also for GPS, maps, etc. And as further fallback solution, I even take a piece of paper and a pencil with me :crossed_fingers:

73 Stephan

2 Likes

Logging software when operating in Scotland… certainly not for me! Write in the rain notebooks are altogether more appropriate. :grinning:

1 Like

The only time I log on my phone - is when I have forgotten to put my Rite in the Rain notepad in my pocket! I then just use Google Sheets, safe in the knowledge that it will be waiting for me on my home PC upon my return.

As for converting to ADIF, I disagree with @G4OIG - it’s not hard work. I use “Excel-to-ADIF” and it’s straight-forward. The only thing to be vigilant with is checking that the output file has the dates in UK and not US format before importing into one’s home logging software.

My “personal transcript of activities” is on my website http://tomread.co.uk - though that needs updating from before Christmas 2021!

Richard has a neat system of bypassing all logging and data transfer methods - which is all well and good. However, I doubt I am alone in finding the maintenance and review of the resulting data all part of the fun of SOTA!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I’ll look into this Tom. Anything for an easy life! :grinning:

3 Likes

Hi, I rely on the database for things like mountain goatdom etc. It is simple to download the log into Excel for any analysis.

Being based in Scotland I log on waterproof paper with a pencil. Hard enough keeping a radio dry, never mind a phone with water (or worse) dripping from your nose.

On one Swiss summit last week I forgot my notebook and logged QSOs onto a credit card receipt! Glad it was a dry day!

2 Likes

@HB9EAJ As you already noticed in the other thread I’m working on how I could log my QSOs digitally. I tried VK port-a-log but it somehow was not compatible with how my brain works.

2 Likes

I do love a good logging thread!

It rains a lot here in W7W and touchscreens are not great in the rain. Also I find that logging on a device is too slow compared to writing in a rite-in-the-rain notebook. During the initial pileup I might write down several calls at a time, which is hard to do on a device. I have used VK-Port-a-log and it is a great program, but I always seem to go back to paper and pencil.

In winter, I can write and operate the paddle with thin gloves on. Saves my hands from frostbite.

For transcribing paper to computer I love FLE Logger - the entry format is efficient and matches what I write in my logs. My only wish is that it could run on something other than Windows, but this is a minor complaint. DF3CB, if you read this THANK YOU for a most excellent and useful program!

I find that entering my logs onto the computer is part of the SOTA ritual, and gives me a chance to lookup any new callsigns that I don’t recognize. Since I work a full time job I mostly go out on weekends only - If I were going out more frequently the logging would be more of an issue. I certainly see the appeal of electronic logging.

2 Likes

Of course there’s always the option of running FT8 in automode on WSJT-Z, and having the program logging automatically into your logging software on the same device.

Sit back, enjoy the view, enjoy the soup, and every few minutes have a look to see who you’ve worked…

4 Likes

Hi Tom, where is WSJT-Z. Can’t seem to find it. Do you have a link?

Geoff vk3sq

Just type WSJT-Z into Google. Lots of ensuing information and download links.

1 Like

Hi Beni

Thanks, yes I saw your post after my feedback. Looks interesting!

At the beginning, I was also a bit puzzled, but once you get used to it, all makes completely sense, at least for me. I also heavily configured the app to my personal needs, which may help you as well. Further, Peter @VK3ZPF is constantly improving the app and is open to implement new clever ideas.

@G4OIG I can very well imagine that your weather imposes other challenges than further South. With about 95% of the activations I had absolutely no problem logging with an app. Otherwise, I would probably follow your route.

Other aspects that help me logging with the smartphone:

• When there is strong rain or snow, I try to protect the smartphone, e.g. by cover it somehow with waterproof material or use a bothy bag. With the latter, depending on the outside temperature and humidity, you’ll experience dripping water from inside, which definitely also doesn’t help. In this situation, I just lock the screen, wipe it and continue until the entry errors start again.
  • When sitting on the ground, I attach the smartphone to my leg by using an elastic strap that holds the phone with a magnet. I saw this idea in a video of @K6ARK and built a similar solution that works really well.

Both aspects can be seen together in my latest video at this position:

Experiment and use what works for you!

73 Stephan

2 Likes

Very close here to HB9EAJ’s practice here and happy with it so far. Considering it KISS . . . and even compatible with my brain! :smile:

73, DIZ

1 Like

Hi Marcel,

On the hill I use a paper log and then manually enter my logs in to the SOTA data website. I also collate stats about each unique walk in a SOTA/hiking log using Excel:

I have written some Python code to convert the Excel file to CSV before combining with Jinja2 templates and Markdown to render pages for each walk for my website. Photos are automatically processed with xnconvert and GPX tracks are rendered using LeafletJS:

Screenshot 2022-03-17 214757

I have nearly 200 walks waiting to be written up to launch my blog but I’m lazy and would rather be out on the hill :crazy_face:

3 Likes