People from Andy's formative youth who are now dead Part 2

I’m singing the tune right now! TUNE! (As the kids say). To prove it, I think there’s even a version with lyrics somewhere. Probably Chaka Khan or someone like that.

Ah no, Al Jarreau it was.

Mr. Jarreau was another in “very talented but we don’t want to listen to him demonstrate those talents” class.

I heard a spoof Country song yesterday by Dean Hall and The Loose Eels. The hook line being “If you play another country song I’m gonna have to kick your ass.” Change country to either Jarreau or Corea and the sentiment holds true. I didn’t know Al Jarreau had left us back 2017.

8 Likes

Fusion is a broad church, I’m guessing that you are thinking in terms of jazz-rock fusion, which was a thing for a decade or so. I suspect that its reverse form, rock-jazz fusion is less repugnant to you, though perhaps you’re not into ELP or King Crimson! One interesting but different fusion style was Talisker which mixed jazz with Scottish folk elements. I had a flirtation with a jazz and English folk fusion for a while before experimenting with chromaticism - one extreme to the other! Anyway, Chick Corea had a long career and jazz-rock fusion was just one aspect.

That’s the Royal ‘we’ I take it? You speak not for me.

No, it was right first time.

Amongst the world of musicians there are 3 main types, talented musicians we love listening to, talented musicians we hate listening to and rappers.

Sad news indeed. RIP Chick.
Big fan here.
My favourite was always “Celebration Suite” from the “No Mystery” album.
Luc ON7DQ

1 Like

Generally their music videos are worth watching, if you are a dirty old man, which I know you are :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wot? No C4FM? :wink:

4 Likes

You know, until recently I would have nodded my head in agreement to that, rap in pop is to me the very antithesis of music. Then my eldest, who shares that opinion, said “Dad, watch Heilung live at Castlefest”. Well he often puts me on to good stuff, so I did. At first I was thinking “what the heck am I watching?!” but an hour then flew by unnoticed. Nordic rap embedded in music theatre with home-made instruments, wow! Straight into my music favourites file. So even at my age I learned anew that you cannot completely dismiss a whole tranche of music no matter how unpromising it may seem at first acquaintance.

1 Like

As a PS to my last post, there is a fourth class, finger-in-the-ear folk singers!

That’s a very sweeping generalisation Andy. In my un-humble opinion there are only 2 categories. Rock and everything else.
:guitar:

As Claire said “Oh, we got both kinds. We got country and western.”

:woman_facepalming:

Here’s your hat!

Utter pish. No I’m wrong. Total and complete utter pish.

I had a look at some photos of their fans… look like a right bunch of work-shy crusties who are scared of bathing and probably smells worse than a ham radio rally on a hot day. However, they have animal skin drums so at least they are not vegans. Or U2/Bono fans.

You do realise that Castlefest was a medieval festival? With costumes? And goblins collecting the garbage? I bet you never got past the first few minutes that were filmed in B&W!

You bet wrong then.

Fair enough. Well, I’m sorry to hear it, perhaps the rituals progress too slowly for you. I find it reminiscent in some ways of the procedures in Steve Reich’s music.