Our Scottish Tour - last day update

Geoff and I have reviewed and amended our plans for our last day tomorrow (Weds). The alerts have been updated accordingly.

73 Phil G(M)4OBK & Geoff 2(M)0NON

In reply to G4OBK:
Hello Phil and Geoff.
Tomorrow QRL …grrr :((.But thank you for all QSO’s,like G(M)4OBK/p and new summits Phil.Congratulations for mini-expedition too Southern Scotland Geoff and Phil.
Vy 73! de Rob(ert)SP8RHP.

In reply to SP8RHP:

Thanks Rob(ert) for the acknowledgment of my post. It was good to hear you coming back on 40m CW towards the end of each activation when we were in Scotland last week. You were one of the best DX stations I worked using the low power for a change. (I did not sign /QRP hihi!).

I’ve written up days one and two in my blog, days three and four to follow when I get the time. If you are interested:

We had an enjoyable time over the border and hope to return as soon as we can to do some more unique summits.

All the routes used have been imported into the SMP (Thanks Rob DM1CM).

73 Phil G4OBK

Here is a report of our third day of our Scottish Tour in the Lowther Hills which took place earlier this month (Well Hill SS-112, Ballencleuch Law SS-075 and Hods Hill SS-131):

73 Phil

In reply to G4OBK:

Hi Phil

Thanks for the excellent write up and pics, very useful! Your route for SS’s -112 and -075 is almost exactly what we’ve got planned for our attack on the pair in June, so good to see it verified in practice. The contacts much appreciated too - another couple of completes on the cards!

We found Hod’s Hill to be a dreary slog in horribly wet conditions. As you say the SUW at this point is more in the map-makers imagination than on the ground…

73 de Paul G4MD

In reply to G4MD:

Paul - it sounds as though we need to team up with Geoff in the mornings and Phil in the afternoons. :wink:

Phil - an excellent and most useful report. I’m looking forward to the pairing of Well and Ballencleuch, but won’t be comparing ascent times… descent times maybe!

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

Very good Gerald and Paul.

Glad somebody reads my rubbish hihi… all much of a muchness the summit reports I write in Catterblog. I just have two more photos I will send you both via e-mail. I hope you get the same WX as we did that day for the round. It was perfect. I must make sure I eat some grub as I go along next time. The one early morning bacon butty only keeps me going until about 11.30am I reckon!

73 Phil

In reply to G4OBK:

I must make sure I eat some grub as I go along next time

Very important, especially for someone who is all skin and bones like you! The best food is a slow release carbohydrate such as porridge. Next best is Weetabix. Bacon rolls being v. tasty don’t really help.

You can get instant porridge pots where you just add water. Some also contain honey and other nice touches. I’m sure you can get a flask of hot water from various cafe/shops. Failing that a wee electric water heater powered from the car would do. Or carry a box of Weetabix and buy some fresh milk.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

Arghh, you said the W word. Not far from here you can breathe it as well as eat it! The stuff is definitely not on my menu, though porridge might be worth considering. I don’t need much to kick start my reserves. Food is not an issue for me - lactic acid is… perhaps my breakfast should be a cup of soda water and a magnesium supplement pill. :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:
Don’t forget the Glucosamine Gerald…I may be superstitious, but it’s cheap and since starting to take it about 6 years ago I haven’t had anyreal bother with my knees and the thinlayer of cartilidge remaining on them! Cod Liver capsule also for over 20 years since aches and pains started when I was about 38.

Noted about breakfasts Andy - Geoff 2E0NON has discovered an erergy bar with Oats in it and he carries 3 or 4 with him all the time on the fells in his pockets, muching as he goes.

73 Phil

EDit PS - I reckon those Muller Rice Pots might be a good breakfast time snack? I like the apple flavour ones.

In reply to G4OBK:

I eat the ASDA Peanut Butter and Oats Granola Bars. I take 3 or 4 of them and a Mars Bar with me. As a diabetic, a Mars Bar is right out unless I’ve been exercising hard. So I have to have worked somewhat to treat myself. They were healthier for me when they had more fat in them, the fat slowing down the instant sugar hit. A big day will probably see me have 2x Oat Bar and 1x Mars Bar where a big day is 15km+ and 650m+ ascent. The carb fix works for me but they do not fill up the hole in your stomach. I feel hungry after eating them but I know I’ve had some slow and fast release carbs. A 10min stop to eat these and a good drink is enough to relight the fire and get me moving again.

The problem is and any sports scientist will tell you this, if it was easy to predict exactly what and when to eat we’d all be able to perform at our best all the time. But it’s difficult and one weekend the walking seems easy and the next it can be a real challenge for no real difference. On top of that we’re all different so what works for me and my gubbed digestive system may work better for you and worse someone else.

Andy
MM0FMF

1 Like

In reply to MM0FMF:

I’m carrying more energy bars from now on, thanks for the tips guys.

I’ve now concluded the write up of our Southern Scotland Tour. The final days report for Cairn, Wauk, Bogrie and Fell Hills can be found here:

All routes used have been entered in the SOTA Mapping Project as real time GPS tracks and links have been added to the Summit pages.

I’m looking forward to my next trip north of the border, although this is likely to be some months away as activations in other places are currently being planned.

73 Phil

Amazing what the reflector throws up!

Yay for “energy” bars, I live on them when out on the hills during our expeditions, just top up with a “proper” meal most evenings.

Sorry for the spurious revival of an old topic

73 de Paul G4MD

PS remember the “king size” Mars Bar? Long relegated to history by the food PC brigade. I used to eat them two at a time :-s