Operating on 5Mhz

Just after you finished, Matt, I went up to 5.3985 and there was a very excited Italian station (if I read his call correctly!) working into G! Anyway, great contact, and if anything goes wrong with the 817, don’t mention the mod!

Brian

Hi Brian,
I fully support that.
I also remember doing so many years ago on 40m band calling bellow 7.100 on SSB for US stations and announcing that I was listening up somewhere higher than 7.1 or 7,2 I can’t recall exactly, where we (EA) were nor allowed to transmit. And it worked perfectly!
If I want to activate on 60m one of these days, I might need to do that same modif to my FT-817. I don’t even know whether it currently works on 60m. Neither I had heard about such modif before.
For the moment, I’d just like to chase some activators from home. My old TS-940S and my broadband folded dipole are ready for that.
Best 73 from Guru

1 Like

Hi, Guru, this is where I found the instructions to wideband the FT817ND:

Its just a matter of opening and closing a row of jumpers by adding or removing small blobs of solder. It took longer to get at the row of jumpers than make the actual modification!

Brian

1 Like

Hi Matt. Congratulations on your achievement! For me 60m was a big reward for getting the full licence. At the moment the bands are not very reliable, and I have found that 40 and 80 have not been functioning well for interG at times when 60 is OK (can be quite noisy). If I couldn’t use 60m I would be less keen to go out and try HF activations at the moment. Good luck. 73 John