Other SOTA sites: SOTAwatch | SOTA Home | Database | Summits | Video | Photos | Shop | Mapping | Sotlas | FAQs | Facebook | Contact SOTA

Operating in France?

Are you sure it’s not a requirement to have a copy of that with you?

1 Like


No…… I’m not sure that’s it’s a requirement to present a copy of T/R 61-01. You are however, obliged to observe it. As far as I understand it, the only document you have to present is your Full Licence.

If you know different, it would be great if you can cite the relevant document and clause setting out such a requirement ?

73, Lea

1 Like

This clip reminds me to carry the right documentation! :slight_smile:


The reason I ask is I’m fairly sure it used to be a requirement.

I’ve been operating abroad under CEPT for nearly 31 years now so current and previous requirements merge in my mind! You used to be able to use a Full Club call under CEPT and we operated using my old club call when a number of us drove from The Wirral to Friedrichshafen in a motorhome. (So long ago we had a state-of-art G-Whip on 20m and an FT-757GX-II). In one over I started as DL/xxxx and then we drove through the border into PA and I finished as PA/xxx. We had taken the wrong exit so we drove back into DL then into ON. So the following over I was DL/xxx then ON/xxx. Now they stopped the use of club calls under CEPT maybe in 2003 or 2008.

It’s possible you don’t need TR 61/01 with you but I take a printout of it., my UK licence and when operating keep my passport with them. I’ve never been asked for proof when operating abroad, I’ve only ever shown them in UK airports when trying to get batteries on a plane!


I assume the advice given on the RSGB website is up to date. It says:

To operate under CEPT regulations, you need to have with you your UK licence validation document, a copy of the UK licensing regulations (Section 2 of your licence) and a copy of the foreign country’s licensing regulations. You will need to contact the foreign country’s licensing administration to obtain a copy of the latter.


I suspect the reason for having the copy of the foreign country’s licensing regulations is that, if stopped by a law enforcement officer, it will be in his/her language.

Looking at the list of CEPT countries I reckon there is probably about thirty different languages in which the home country licence conditions could be printed and therefore meaningless to most policemen.

In the [albeit very unlikely] event foreign police stopped me and asked me to explain the batteries, wires and strange boxes in my rucksack, it might be handy to show them an official looking document that talks about what a visiting radio amateur is allowed to do in their country.


That’s where I started but I drew a blank on what document for France would pass as their “licensing regulations”.

But my licence document from Ofcom is in English, German and French so I should be safe - unless we cross over into Spain. :slight_smile:

1 Like


If you plan to go to the South West of France (Bayonne, Biarritz) or to the North of Navarre in Spain for activation, please let me know.
It will be a pleasure to give you useful information and if you wish we can share an activation.



Especially the transit visa for you and Miss Elsa :joy:

73 Armin

1 Like


Thank you, After Brittany I am planning to follow the Garonne from Bordeaux to somewhere near its source in the Pyrenees, after that I am not sure which way we will go, east or west, it will probably depend on the weather and where the sun is. :slight_smile:

Ok Well understood, waiting for your news


Update: I contacted Ofcom, the UK regulating authority, and requested a HAREC the Harmonised Amateur Radio Examination Certificate. The process is simple, just send an email to spectrum.licensing “at” ofcom.org.uk giving your full name, date of birth and your Full licence number. The wording of the document is similar to the licence but it is specific about what the Full licence means in CEPT terms.

This is what is says in English, it is also repeated in French and German:

The Office of Communications (Ofcom) of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Island, the Channel Islands and Isle of Man declares herewith that the
holder of this certificate has successfully passed an amateur radio examination
which fulfils the requirements laid down by the International Telecommunication
Union (ITU). The passed examination is comparable with level 1, as indicated in
CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-02 (HAREC). According to the amateur radio
regulations of the United Kingdom, the holder of this certificate is entitled to receive
the national licence class A.
For the purpose of CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-01 this national licence class is
classified as being CEPT licence class 1, as listed in Columns 4 respectively 5 of
Appendix II of Recommendation T/R 61-01.


Bienvenue John :+1: :wink:

1 Like

Nice to know they have kept it up to date. There hasn’t been a class A licence for years!


Why do you need a HAREC, are you applying for a French licence?

1 Like

No, but it might be useful to have it case I get arrested. :slight_smile: I’m just viewing it as a document which explains the equivalence my UK licence.

1 Like

The CEPT equivalence is the second piece of information on your normal licence :slight_smile: