Old skool SOTA rigs.

My FT817 turns 21 years old in a couple of months! I guess it should qualify as a retro rig? :laughing:

4 Likes

Another vote here for the FT-290R Mk1 as the definite old skool SOTA rig. Mine had the Mutek preamp and with a Microwave Modules linear and preamp it was quite a potent combination. I sold the 290 many years ago after purchasing an 817.

Iā€™m pleased SOTA was not invented 20 years earlier otherwise Iā€™d have had to carry my Trio TR-7010 up every summit. It did get taken up Kinder Scout G/SP-001 for one of the microwave contests, complete with an aluminium pole, 5 element beam, 10GHz wideband transceiver, 45cm dish and 34AH lead acid battery. No problem for an active 30 year old. :grinning:

Itā€™s a bit of a testament to modern design, manufacturing etc. that you can make a piece of such electronics so cheaply (in real terms) that stays functional and in spec despite the rough treatment such radios gt in SOTA service.

1 Like

There was one on eBay the other week that went for a surprising price considering what it is. Yes I did consider bidding.

Which one will I use to chase you?

HgOTA TRX

:wink:
20/30/40m

6 Likes

LOL! It was widely used for a while and gave good results whatever its defects. You still see them advertised from time to time but their time has passed, I wouldnā€™t buy one for the sake of nostalgia, though I might be tempted by other classic rigs. Actually, thoā€™ off topic, Iā€™m looking for a nice clean Eddystone receiverā€¦

I still use my 1976 vintage rig, bought on the never-never. It has worked over 250 locator squaresā€¦ not bad for a mobile. :grinning: Another 7010 passed through my hands a couple of years ago. I bought it for 50, sold it for 50. That one now lives in a vehicle up in County Durham, the replacement for a Liner 2 that had expired.

Maybe I should take one out this weekend ?

6 Likes

That would spoil the look of that lovely set-up!

No, I have another spare 290 to take out :rofl:

2 Likes

I first became acquainted with morse telegraphy in the mid-1950s together with my brother, when the father took us to a scout meeting, where they also used morse code in the evening in the dark, with army flashlights with a button contact.
From then on, my brother and I used a flashlight to wish each other good night before we went to sleep (in the same roomā€¦).

The next steps were then the pre-military morse courses, the compulsory recruit school of 17 weeks (electronic warfare), obtaining the radio telegraph operatorā€™s license and, after completing the studies, applying for a call sign and buying the first radio station (with self-earned money. ā€¦).

A list of all the devices I built myself during this time would go beyond the scope here and I would certainly not have enough space at home.

Because I think that flashlight QSOs are definitely part of the nostalgia and no longer have the same appeal in our time, I will probably not participate here, hi.

1 Like

Erik, we could have a SST to STT QSO or a Norcal to Norcal QSO :slight_smile: if it is the SST-20 and the Norcal is the Norcal-40 :slight_smile:

@M1BUU: A SOTA retro activity week has a certain charmā€¦

2 Likes

I have an Icom IC2E from the 80s but that is for 25kHz channels. I know the 12.5kHz channels arenā€™t used much but I wouldnā€™t want to splat over someone else.

My first HF rig was a valve Heathkit SB101. I bought it secondhand in 1983. I think it was probably of late 60s vintage. It was not the most reliable of kit! I gave it away when I lost interest in radio in about 1990. Even if I still had it I wouldnā€™t have wanted to lug it up a hill along with some means of supplying its HT.

Old skool rigs could be used by chasers, too. Old skool to old skool would be kool!

2 Likes

Which one?

Iā€™m operating from GW/NW-076 on the 2nd March.

2 Likes

Ingo, SST40 and Norcal-40 :wink: only 20m with MFJ 9020

1 Like

I have a SST-40 also. Only old skool rig I have now, as I donā€™t really collect old radios. But the SST is such a nice design and a very usable radio. You can see from the design and style of manual by N6KR that it was the beginning of Elecraft. I would build another one for 30m if I had the time.

I will take it out this year, even if we donā€™t have an activity day.

73 Gavin
GM0GAV

3 Likes

Include the 80ā€™s and my TS-130V will qualify. :grinning:

1 Like

Sure, anything goes!

I was just thinking about rigs likely to have been in common use in 2002.

I was licensed in 1997, the first radio I made a contact on with my call sign was an FT690. (Class B licence - M1BUU)

My first HF contacts were made on a Sommerkamp (Yaesu) FT902DM. Just goes to show that older gear was still in use. I loved that FT902DM, it was the GX0KRS club rig and was regularly serviced by G3LLL. I was gutted to learn after the fact that the rig was sold off to be replaced by an FT897. I would be proud to be the owner of that rig.

73, Colin