Oe/vb-454

Google map indicates that the summit is on a pedestrian crossing! Looks like an Austrian Crowborough (or perhaps a Ruardean).

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Was just looking where F/AM-280 and F/AM-258 are. The Google gives center of Valdeblore. Problem with Google seems to me.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to F5VGL:

Perhaps a problem with the co-ordinates?

Richard
G3CWI

If I click on “Google Map” having clicked on the SOTA ref I get funny results ! - for example GM/CS-077 shows Ben Gulabin in the centre of Perth !!

It has only been doing this recently

Graham G3OHC

In reply to G3OHC:

I have now tried a few and it does seem that the map is defaulting to nearby villages and towns. SP-004 and SP-002 both did this. It does look like a Google problem. Mysterious.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

It is a feature, not a bug. The normal people want to visit the nice villages and wine caves - only few sportives want to climb these hard rocky summits. The mystery is why some of them take a fishing rod with since no fish can survive at such altitudes.

73, Jaakko OH7BF/F5VGL

In reply to F5VGL:

In reply to G3CWI:

It is a feature, not a bug.

Did you work for Microsoft’s Corporate Publicity Department by any chance?

:slight_smile:

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to F5VGL:

The mystery is why some of them take a fishing rod with
since no fish can survive at such altitudes.

Yes Jaakko, trouts in lakes…hi !

73 Alain F6ENO

In reply to F6ENO:

I was on a summit putting my roach pole away, and this guy walked up to me and asked if I’d caught any. I said “Yes, you’re the third one!”

Brian G8ADD

Yes
Problem is Google Maps! Pictures to prove and an Austrian Map to show I was where I said I was as I have on all SOTAs activated!

Phil (on borrowed laptop with foreign keyboard…hard work)

In reply to G4OBK:

Hi Phil

Google seems to have latched on to this problem and now the exact location of the co-ordinates (the summit) is shown with one marker (green arrow) while a different marker shows their guess of a nearby town. They still centre the map on their “guess” so where the markers are a long way apart you may have to zoom out to see the summit marker.

It seems that they still think that Google knows best…

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to G3CWI:

Yes Ric - Google Map seems to work well on NO-026. Thanks for the tip off about the arrow colours. I also just checked on OE/VB-454 having been there and it looks pretty good to me from the paths that I can make out. I can also recall a tower nearby and I can just detect that on the screen also.

Good stuff.

Phil