Nw-001

today is the day that the cafe up on mount snowdon is opened, also the train runs to the summit on monday 15th june 2009, i wonder how many will be activating the summit in the next few days, by using the train. Steve m0sgb

Hi Steve

It depends how deep their pockets are - I think it is quite expensive to catch that train up. Good luck to them I say, so long as the last few yards are “people powered”. Similarly I will be activating ON/ON-001 (I hope) on Sunday which I can drive over - the final ascent of probably less than 50m to a picnic table will be person powered - 8 points for me and any chaser that I work!

Phil

In reply to M0SGB:

David, G3RDQ has posted a cracking photo of portable operation from NW-001 early/mid sixties style. A golden age of radio that I sadly missed out on. There again looking at the size of the gear they were using perhaps SOTA would have not got going at all!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

In the sixties G3NAQ and I operated portable from Greenlowther. We drove up the service road to the radar station (having got previous permission to operate) and unloaded a trunk full of valved gear to operate 2 metres and 160 metres. The heaviest item was the power unit to get a few hundred volts from a car battery for the anode supplies, that took the two of us! There was a huge loaded whip for Top Band and an 8/8 slot fed for two metres on a 6 or 7 metre aluminium mast. I think we only got a handful of contacts, but memory fails me after so long!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to MM0FMF:
Andy , where may we see David’s photograph please? I imagine the train took much of the strain.
David M6WOW

In reply to M6WOW:
David’s FB picture is in the photo pool here:

Imgur

73 Marc G0AZS