Northern EI and GI

End of July and beginning of August my wife and I plan to visit the northern part of EI and GI, to get familiar with the culture and the beautiful landscape; SOTA will not be our major aim. Nevertheless I will try to convince my wife of a SOTA-hill walking.
So I am looking for nice, lovely walks, not to strenuous, but with excellent views. If anyone could recommend me some nice lady-tours up to 2 hours, I would be very glad. Our stopping points are: Achill Island (EI), Ardara (EI), Inishwen (EI), Ballycastle (GI), Balloo nr Downpat. (GI) and Clogher Head (EI).
Thanks in advance.
vy 73’s Jürg HB9BAB

1 Like

Hello Jürg

As you travel from GI to Clogher Head, it is worth diverting to Carlingford, a good start point for Slieve Foye (EI/IE-015). See Slieve Foye, Carlingford, Co. Louth | Walking Ireland's County Tops which describes the route (it’s well marked, and easy underfoot, although it involves an ascent of almost 600m) For other ideas around EI and GI, see Filip ON4TA’s blog here http://filip.rogister.eu/_sgg/m3_1.htm
Enjoy! Joe EI7GY

Hi Juerg
EI/IE-021 Clermont Carn is a very easy almost drive on summit. GI/MM-021 Slieve Martin is an easy walk with good views.
Good luck to you both. If you need any more info drop me an email.

Nick G4OOE

Hi Juerg

There are not many hills with a path in the vast boggy expanse of north Co. Mayo! Did I mention bog? Come prepared, hi.

On Achill Island only IW-035 Minaun would be easy do to, IW-017 Slievemore impressive as it is has no path (check out the deserted village at the foot of the hill + nice view from the beach at Doogort).

Not knowing your exact route IW-005 Croagh Patrick is really a must if you are anywhere near Westport Co Mayo, IN-068 Bricklieve Mountains might be a bit of a detour but there is a path up to the Carrowkeel neolithical site at the top, IW-067 Knocknarea near Sligo also has a path up, a massive cairn and fine views all round.

Drop me a mail if you need specific info.

Enjoy your visit to Ireland!

73, Phil ON4TA

Hi Phil, Nick and Joe
Thank you very much for your hints and good advices.
I will keep them in mind and I hope to be active at least from one of those summits!

Jürg HB9BAB