North Wales Swap and Sell Evening

A chance to buy, sell or swap some gear for SOTA maybe?

There are too few radio rallies these days so…

The Mold and District Amateur Radio Club http://www.madarc.org.uk/ would like to invite all radio amateurs and short wave listeners to a silent key, shack surplus, bring and buy, junk swap and sell evening to be held at 8pm in the Mold Rugby Club Mold in Flintshire North Wales on Wednesday 14th September 2011.

What we hope makes this sale a little different is the quality of some of the silent key items in the sale, which includes an Elecraft K3 and the fact that there is no charge for private sellers. If required a limited number of commercial sellers would be welcomed but please contact Steve GW7AAV (email correct on QRZ.com) in advance for a table reservation. Again no charge for commercial sellers but a small donation to be split 50/50 with the Rugby and Radio clubs would be welcomed.

There should be some very tempting high quality gear on sale as well as some real bargains.

There is a bar too, so team up with your mates and organize a designate driver. Let’s make this a great social evening too and it will be a chance to put faces to callsigns.

For directions see – http://www.madarc.org.uk/location.html

Steve GW7AAV Chairman Mold and District Amateur Radio Club

Just a quick reminder…The event is one week today

Why not activate one or two of the Clwydian Hills during the day, grab a cheap meal at The Gold Cape Weatherspoons in Mold town centre and visit the sale in the evening? GW/NW-044 Moel Famau, GW/NW-051 Foel Fenlli, GW/NW-053 Moel Gyw, GW/NW-054 Penycloddiau, GW/NW-062 Hope Mountain and GW/NW-076 Mynydd y Cwm are all within a few miles from Mold.

Interest has been high and I have had loads of emails and phone calls but I have no idea if we will get 5 or 5,000 visitors so I hope we are not disappointed. Anyway the event looks like being a good one for our first attempt, but we need your support.

The star of the show is in the silent key sale, we have a mint Elecraft K3, which had only been used a couple of times on CW before the owner passed away. This and the best bits from our friend’s collection will be auctioned with reserves. There is also plenty of interesting junk in the collection.

We will also have a club stand selling items donated to Mold and District Amateur Radio Club for funds.

There will be a number of traders and individuals with tables and some club members with items to sell. Everyone is welcome to bring their own gear to sell, swap or trade and it is all free. That’s right no admission charge but if you buy a drink or two at the bar it will go some way to making sure we can do this again, possibly on a larger scale.

I realise a mid-week evening is not convenient for a lot of people, but hey what are you saving the spare holiday for? Go on, you probably only need to take half a day off. I really hope to see some of the SOTA crowd there for a chat and a pint.

73 Steve GW7AAV

There will be a number of traders and individuals with tables and some
club members with items to sell. Everyone is welcome to bring their
own gear to sell, swap or trade and it is all free. That’s right no
admission charge but if you buy a drink or two at the bar it will go
some way to making sure we can do this again, possibly on a larger
scale.

Look forward to seeing you there Steve. I’ll probably leave early and take in GW/NW-076 Mynydd y Cwm in the morning.

BTW, Ray from ProWhip Antennas, has just rang me to say he’s now coming along.

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to 2E0YYY:

GW/NW-076 Mynydd y Cwm

Take some flying insect repellent or a companion Mike. I had Brian G4ZRP with me and the flies found him more tasty than me!

Andy
MM0MFM

In reply to GW7AAV:
I plan on going all being well, looking forward to meeting up with other SOTA folk.
Roger MW0IDX

In reply to MW0IDX:

It was great to meet Roger last night, along with a few other SOTA chasers and activators.

The sale was a big success as far as the club was concerned. Our silent key sale making about £2,000 and a reasonable offer at the end of the night on the stunning Elecraft K3 (only wish I could have afforded to buy it my self) and a couple of hundred taken on our club stall. The takings behind the bar means the Rugby club should be happy too. Not sure that the traders did enough business to make it worth their while, but this was our first attempt at something like this and we had no idea of the response. Many thanks to everyone who turned up trader and buyers.

Nice to see from SOTA - Mike 2E0YYY, Brian G4ZRP, Bob G6ODU, Roger MW1IDX, Ian GW8OGI, Helen GW7AAU and probably a few I have missed plus a few I never got to say hello to.

73 Steve GW7AAV

In reply to GW7AAV:
Likewise Steve, I was pleased to meet Helen, Bob, Brian & Mike whom I hadn’t met in person before.
It was a very good night. Lots of interesting ham gear up for sale.

Well done to all involved for organising it.
Roger MW0IDX