North Pennines Activations August 2015

We (Rod & Viki) are heading for upper Teesdale for a few days and aim to do most of the summits close by if the weather is not too foul. After NP-027, Dufton Pike, on our way there the main targets are NP-003, Burnhope Seat, NP-002, Mickle Fell, NP-001, Cross Fell, NP-024, Hoove and NP-020, Cold Fell. I have put up Alerts but they are more wishful thinking than serious plans and we shall just have to see what the weather throws down and adjust plans to suit. We are warned that there is no WiFi and no mobile coverage in the valley. O2 and EE coverage maps look pretty sparse all around the area so I do not expect to be able to update Alerts or self-spot unless we visit civilization for an evening meal.

Please look out for us; M6BWA will be on 2m FM and 70cm FM as usual. M0JLA will be on HF if not too wet, probably QRP, and sharing with M6BWA if conditions are foul.

Hope to make contact soon.
Rod

Please note that Mickle fell is on the Warcop Military firing range and special, written permission on specific dates times and routes is called for. Two of the up and coming access days are 29/30 August.

Regards

David

Good phone coverage from Cross Fell and Cold Fell as they can both “see” the M6.

Permit obtained.
Rod

Good point Andy, thank you.
Rod

Gud stuff, enjoy

Regards

David

Hi Rod and Viki,

I monitor S20 throughout the day at work and some of the summits you are doing I can hear simplex. If I hear you I can put up spots as required.

Geoff GM4WHA / G4WHA/A when at work in Penrith

Geoff,
Offer very much appreciated, thank you. Hope for some good contacts while we are there.
Rod

Please please Propagation gods smile on 40m again :innocent:

Karl

Karl,
Unless the WX is better than forecast I will not be doing HF at all after Tuesday. Looks like being wet and windy and I find it too difficult keeping the kit dry :frowning:

Hope it’s better than expected.
Rod

Tell me about it being pestered by a wet cat at moment

Karl

Home now. Did more HF and fewer hills than planned owing to injury.
Mickle Fell was horrible.
More shortly.
Rod