North Pennine Top Four?

In reply to M1EYP:
Problem with cold fell its 76 miles from Hawes.73 Geoff

In reply to MM0FMF, M1EYP, G6MZX:

You’ve not consumed it to serious excess Gerald.

Andy - I have certainly been very well drenched on occasions. The worst thing was having to live through the “keg bitter” and “chemical lager” eras when I often suffered various levels of alcohol poisoning on relatively small amounts of drink - developments all in the name of progress - Ha! Wine sold in the UK at the time wasn’t much better, so spirits were the order of the day and I found I had the capacity to sink a whole bottle during an evening. Thank goodness I couldn’t afford to do it very often!

Tom - Your list is pretty well spot on. I’d probably re-order them with NP-007 staying at the top, but that’s all.

Geoff - 76 miles… a mere skip and a hop! :slight_smile:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G6MZX:

It’s only really just into England! When you look at the NP summits on the map, Cross Fell, Burnhope Seat, Mickle Fell and Dufton Pike are all quite obviously separated from the main bunch of summits. Then Cold Fell is well North of that separate group. It’s out on it’s own is Cold Fell which is why it’s been activated much less often than the other NP summits.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4OIG:
Hi Gerald Richard did ask for a reasonable drive from Hawes There are stacks more NPs that are a more reasonable drive.73 Geoff

In reply to G6MZX:

76 miles is certainly a long way Geoff.

Playing with some tools under development shows there are 14 summits within a 10 mile range of Hawes: NP-014 NP026 NP-006 NP-007 NP-012 NP-023 NP-004 NP-007 NP-031 NP-016 & NP-015. That rises to 24 if you push the radius out to 20 miles. You need to set the radial distance to 50 miles to include Cold Fell and then there’s nearly 90 summits to pick from including all of the Lake District!

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

While that is an interesting exercise Andy, radial distances do not tell the correct story. Road distances can be significantly more, especially where the roads run up valleys and often you have to go past a summit to double back up the valley to gain access. Summits such as Illgill Head LD-029 fall into that category - unless you live to the west of that summit of course.

I find that getting the kit sorted out, packed into the car and actually getting out the front door requires a serious amount of effort. Thereafter the driving is a relatively easy part, at least for the first 200 miles, but then with family spread from Cornwall to Scotland I’m used to long journeys. As for 76 miles being a long way, if I stopped at that distance I’d just about make the parking spot for Walton Hill CE-002 and would have to walk a further 4 miles to get to Paul’s QTH. :slight_smile:

I was hoping to bag some more GM/SS summits tomorrow as there is a weather window up in the Borders, but I have decided against it as the ground is waterlogged. Think I’ll probably bag a couple of HuMPs while I wait for some sun down in CT/AL… and yes I will be taking the 817 and the travel pole. :wink:

73, Gerald G4OIG

In reply to G4OIG:

I thought it had stopped raining for a moment but it’s changed from big lumps to fine dreik. The sky does look brighter as it’s light grey rather than pewter in colour!

Assuming I wont need my Ark this weekend, I think summits with rocky ground and well made paths are the order of the day. Anything involving peat and/or soft ground is well out of the question.

Andy
MM0FMF

With time being limited, I think I had better stick to the closer recommendations. Besides, having driven 220 miles to a place I chose for the proximity to hills, if I then asked the family to jump in the car as only another 75 miles to go, I think there would be even more questions about my sanity.

I was just after peoples recommendations. What I wanted to avoid is having struggles up a dreadful boggy lump of NP-XXX, only to be told on the radio that I should have gone to NP-YYY as that is a much better hill. That said, the beauty of a list is it forces you to visit all the hills, and there are not many that aren’t worth a visit, and perhaps the weather has a bigger effect on hill enjoyment.

For example, last week I walked up Carnedd Y Filiast. I wasn’t expecting much, both from the hill and from the weather, but found it to be a wonderful walk. The weather was much better than expected. The views were good in all directions, and there was a wonderful sense of space, being in a large empty tract of country, that we had all to ourselves for the entire walk. Also the track helped no end – I wouldn’t have liked to have bashed through the heather for that distance (the only disadvantage being that there was a surprising amount of uphill on the way back down). Altogether a good day.

Thanks for the recommendations. I will add Whernside to the list. Oh for more time.

Richard
G0IBE

In reply to MM0FMF:

My lawn is a lake with grass blades sticking out of it, I suspect that each time you put your foot down on a well-made path it will have a bow wave!

Brian G8ADD

In reply to G0IBE:

For example, last week I walked up Carnedd Y Filiast. I wasn’t
expecting much, both from the hill and from the weather, but found it
to be a wonderful walk. The weather was much better than expected.
The views were good in all directions, and there was a wonderful sense
of space, being in a large empty tract of country, that we had all to
ourselves for the entire walk.

In Wales they have a bad habit of recycling mountain names - I looked at the passage above and scratched my head because it didn’t match my memory, but I assume you mean GW/NW-032? The Carnedd y Filiast of my memory is the other side of Marchlyn Mawr to Elidir Fawr, and unfortunately not a SOTA summit!

Brian G8ADD