Newby looking for 2m Hand Held Advice

I use a Yaesu VX6 handheld, primarily because it is properly waterproof (advertised as submersible). Only downside is it lacks C4FM and has a very wide front end (but that makes it useful for listening to non amateur frequencies too).

Yaesu 818 for HF operation…but if I am eyeing up an elecraft kx2 at the moment. Maybe I will treat myself if I get a full license and one comes up second hand.

I was expecting more second hand portables to appear on the market after the influx of brand new icom 705s.

1 Like

I’ll post a link to Razvan’s blog article about 2m/70cm handheld performance again.

I had UV82 as my first handheld and it is still good. I made modification to improve modulation based on following info. If you are not confident with solder iron, just make microphone hole slightly bigger 2.1mm and modulation will improve. This could be great spare/second radio.

Baofengs suffer from blocked RX when close to strong signal like repeaters or transmitters, so I moved to Yaesu FT65 and recently purchased AnyTone AT-d878UV as a FM and DMR radio. It has GPS and APRS in it on top of 8W output.

I use double 5/8 FlowerPot antenna as a foldable version which is easy to hand on any tree or 4-5m mast.
https://vk2zoi.com/articles/double-five-eighth-flower-pot/

Good luck and HNY
73 de Marek

Hello

We have had this request here many times… and this link “qrpblog” has also been posted:

It simply depends on what equipment you want… what it should be able to do…! If it may be simpler, but robust and with a really good receiver - an Icom IC-V__ may be enough for you (like for me).

Otherwise you have the choice in the upward pretty open price scale.

For SOTA, you might want to think about the operation and outdoor qualities.

73 Armin

I use a Yaesu VX6 HT with Diamond SRH770, although it is usually my backup radio. I’d buy another if anything happened to this one.

I like it because it’s compact, rugged (metal case), relatively affordable (paid £150 new) and can be recharged in the field with USB power bank and/or solar. No APRS which is a shame but not a deal breaker by any means. Anecdotally, I’ve had some great contacts on 70cms. Worth a look.

@M1HAX does the VX6 charge from 5V?

@M0MZB - Hi mate, no, it’s 12v, but there is a USB/12v boost cable designed for an Echo Dot which works perfectly, see https://twitter.com/M1HAX/status/1160998801794093056

@M1HAX That’s brilliant, thanks for the tip. I have just ordered one. It saves me carrying a 3S LiPo when I only have the VX6.

1 Like

@M0MZB Add in a small solar panel and powerbank and it’s a game changer. I was able to use my VX6 every day for over two weeks when hiking in the arctic with that :+1:

I do use one Paul, thanks.

1 Like

Hi there, during my activation’s I use the Yaesu FT 817 mainly because of the HF side of the radio but If using my hand held I use the Yaesu FT 270 and have never had any issues

Paul
M0PLA
73’s and Happy New Year

I think I am about to go for an 818. There is a good deal at the moment! Thanks for your help!

A second hand 817ND will be a better deal :slight_smile: There’s loads that have never been used outdoors.

But an 818 will have the most up to date components and a 2 year warranty. If there’s a competitive deal going on new 818s, I wouldn’t necessarily discourage from going for that.

At the moment there is £70 cash back and a 3 year warranty. Pondering!

Martin

I’ve often marveled at how well Elecraft gear seems to hold it’s value and having sold a bunch have been happy with that. However, as a buyer I think when the used price of any radio gear is within 10-15% of the new, going with the new seems a no brainer. You get a warranty, peace of mind that someone hasn’t abused it despite their assurance otherwise and in the case of the 818 versus the 817 an extra watt of RF power that is bound to come in handy (well the Yeasu marketing team think it does).

If you don’t like the gear, sell it and consider the price difference a rental fee.

Paul
www.nomadic.blog

1 Like

I think your price break for new is about right Paul. Santa must have been picking up used 817s to give to people who have been good as there are fewer on sale on the assorted web sites than I have seen for sometime. That 818 deal comes out at £550 but it is a cashback. i.e. you pay full price and have to do “things” to claim the £70 rebate. There are people who manage to forget or do things wrong so they don’t get the money!

Original 817s will be at least 15years old now and real world prices £200-£275
817ND last ones before 818 started are £400 but most are selling for £300-£375

I see there is a comedian on ebay offering an 817 for £475 from an SK sale as “spares and repairs”. He’s £100 above top price and wont even post it. But hey, we all love an optimist.

1 Like

“My shortlist is either a FT-818 or a Xiegu 5051. Have a good morning!”

Have you looked at the Xiegu G90? Up to 20 watts with internal ATU for under £390 new. Unlike the 817/818 doesn’t do 2m/70cms.

Thanks for the advice, a friend has just offered me a X90 for £270, so I think I will go for it! I contacted the importer but they are not sure when the X5051 will be in stock again! Best scenario was 5 weeks but very much maybe! The G90 will get me going for now. I just noticed in another thread you have a G90 what battery solution did you come up with?

Hi I bought a 4200mAh Lifepo4 battery from hobbyking (see thread ZIPPY 4200/8200mAh LiFePO4 battery supply? - #60 by MM0FMF )
This powers the G90 for ages on a summit. There are supply issues at the moment if you read the other thread. I also have 16Ah & 24Ah Lifepo4 “golf trolley” batteries for marathon activations or when I use my ft857. The G90 is not as robust as the Yaesu products, however with a little care it should last for years.

1 Like