New Yaesu FT-817

I just hope this is not a April fool’s joke
Redirecting...

How much will this cost, I wonder?

In reply to 2W0CYM:
The screen display looks very like the one on an IC-7000 superimposed on an FT-817. April 01, I fear?
73, Frank

In reply to 2W0CYM:

So my thoughts about Facebook users are correct.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:
Ahh well. Egg on my face. It was a good April fool joke. I took it hook, line and sinker haha. Yaesu please take note! This is the radio we want haha

In reply to 2W0CYM:

Hi Alan.

Apart from the Icom 7000 display, other claimed specs looked somewhat suspicious…23 cms and 4m as well as the usual 817 bands?..I would have thought that the 23 cms allocation would have moved the costing of the radio well away from the target consumer base of the 817…Throwing 4m in as well, that’s just plain cruel!

The killer point for me though, was the bnc socket on the front panel as I’m sure that that would go the way of all the modern handhelds and morph into an sma type.

ATB, Neil.

In reply to 2E0TDX:
The sad thing about this thread is that Yaesu will never take our points of view onboard, because we do not come from the USA and Japan. We can always live in hope?

In reply to 2W0CYM:
Maybe the Chinese will take note of this April fool and produce one for us?

In reply to 2W0CYM:

Why? Are they going to sell billions? Well maybe millions?

They wont do it for 2 simple reasons. 1) Nothing to copy. 2) No market.

A few thousand hams who begrudge paying more than threepence ha’penny doesn’t suggest there’s a viable business model to be supported.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to MM0FMF:

The sales of the 817 ran into five figures several years ago. Its never been copied! Its good business sense to bring out an improved version every five years or so, plenty of 817 owners would salivate over a new version! So they bring out a new and improved model with a different first IF so that they can include 70 megs in one of the band-pass filters, selectable as an alternate Region 1 setting, plus space for a small but very expensive (i.e. profitable!) 23 cm accessory which would be obtained by replacing the NiCd compartment with a smaller compartment for a more modern battery. Its doable, I bet that there is a small project team looking at the next version right now!

Brian G8ADD

PS I would certainly begrudge parting with the thre’p’ny piece and the ha’penny from my small collection!

In reply to G8ADD:

The sales of the 817 ran into five figures several years ago…

I bet that there is a small project team looking at the next version
right now!

Well they need to get moving :wink: If they are not quick then there will be an increase in the number of used 817s available as people trade for KX3s. Yes, I know the KX3 is more expensive, but if only 1% of 817 owners trade up and only half of them don’t decide to keep the 817 as a backup that is still a lot of extra used rigs becoming available.

Colin G8TMV

In reply to G8TMV:

In what way is a KX3 better than an FT-817 or FT-857?

Walt (G3NYY)

In reply to G3NYY:
Much better IMD.
73, Frank

In reply to G3NYY:

Roger MW0IDX

In reply to G3NYY:

In what way is a KX3 better than an FT-817 or FT-857?

More power
Better front end
Better keyer with memories
Easier to operate (less menus and more buttons)

Colin G8TMV

Not forgetting a built-in wide range ATU (option).

Julian, G4ILO

In reply to G8ADD:

Hi Brian,

Having owned about 5 or 6 of these on and off, The biggest improvement to this rig would be to up the available power from 5 to 10 Watts.

This is main reason I keep returning to the 857.

At the moment,the FT-817 is a Golf GTi powered by an Austin Allegro engine :frowning:

Cue the Morse Evangelists :slight_smile:

73 Mike
2E0YYY

In reply to G3NYY:

Well the RX is better and current consumption is much lower on RX. The trail controls are better positioned than the 817. Of course for a radio missing 2 VHF bands and 1 UHF band you end up paying a lot, lot more.

But the overiding reason is the faux-kudos you can garner by saying you have an Elecraft radio rather than something everyone else has! The radio is good ergo I am good because I have bought one. :slight_smile:

I’d have one but I haven’t convinced myself the extra cost is justified for what I use my 817 for. Much the same argument as an iPad or tablet, I’d like one but haven’t figured what it would be used for.

Andy
MM0FMF

In reply to G4ILO:

OTOH it isn’t available yet, it will cost perhaps twice as much, and they have a reputation for using the first batch out of the factory for de-bugging!

Brian G8ADD

I see nobody has mentioned the Icom 703, mine has server me well on all my 2010 and 2011 activations (100 in total with that rig) 10w SSB, and a built in (very forgiving) one push button ATU, big display, no problem seeing the meter in any kind of light, cracking little rig. I know they don’t make them any more but to its credit they shift very well whenever one comes up on FleaBay.
The 703 has much better display that the 817 and the 897 which I am trying out on activations at the moment and looking at the K3 it also have good size display.

In reply to 2E0YYY:

"At the moment,the FT-817 is a Golf GTi powered by an Austin Allegro engine :frowning:

Cue the Morse Evangelists :slight_smile: "

Heathen

That’s not the spin you put on the one you sold me!!

LOL