New portable rig? Lab599 TX-500

The English manual is of very good quality… I don’t think this is vaporware either but one can hope that the manufacturer will be a bit more verbose once those are put on the market.

Maybe they’ll get smart and stuff an ATU into it before release.

FYI, here’s where the company is located:

Things are moving at Lab599. Looking at their Instagram using Google Translate, it says that they are accepting orders for the first batch. The price is 699 US $. One of the replies gives some background info about performance and why it is not available elsewhere yet.

Edit: oh, i forgot to add that they only accept orders from Russia, their home country.

They have been posting images for the past year. After a while I kinda gave into the fact i twill never hit the market.

Yeah,
Lab599 makes a profession of producing teasers.

Probably they get something from your clicking. I do not ever expect to see a rig for sale. Their rig will need a breakthrough or two to be feasible.
Good luck.

Ron
VK3AFW

Looks like the promo train is picking up speed …

Josh KI6NAZ from Ham Radio Crash Course
has a premiere announced: Video: Premieres Jul 22, 2020 12:00 AM (+/- your timezone)

2 Likes

I have given up on it. The price is now more through HRO, HRO has no stock and now a teaser video that you must wait 2 days for?

This is not marketing especially when you forget to include a battery pack inside the case

Maybe it works in the EU this style of selling but in Canada its the opposite
John VE3IPS

Looks like a great radio but I will hang onto my 817 for now and am getting the Icom 705 regardless

Price: $789.95

From my point of view it’s no bargain but also not excessive for a rugged milled aluminium case.
Btw. user manual is also available at the HRO shop page for download. And at their homepage too.

1 Like

Short review:

The connectors they use are not a popular choice, does anyone know why they chose that type over DINs or stereo plugs? Apart from that, the radio looks quite interesting; to me anyway.
73 de OE6FEG
Matt

Because those are water-sealed ones with a certain rating. That’s also the reason for not having an internal speaker.

73 Joe

1 Like

OK, makes sense.

Hi,
I have seen this TX-500 before and have done some internet research. This trx is to be seen as vaporware. I had contact with the Russian qrp club and several Russian OMs who informed me that there is a problem with this trx:

1. As result of Corona
  2. There is a problem finding supply of components to make the trx. My sources indicate that the price would be around 750$ + 50$ for sending it.
    No information available about how to pay or an approximate date when it will be available. For the time being vaporware.
    73, Patrick ON4BCA/QRP

There are ongoing worldwide supply isues at the moment and these affect small electronics manufacturers the most.

The milled aluminium case is probably what adds most to the cost and probably to the weight as well.

The lack of an internal battery / ATU / speaker and the atypical connectors make this just a novelty with looks but very little practical purpose. It’s all sacrificed just to achieve ingress protection without realizing that every external accessory is just another ingress risk. I cannot see how anyone would want to wire up radio, battery, tuner, earplugs and microphone in the rain (and pray they are all waterproof and they didn’t forget one of the many proprietary cables at home) … or even on a sunny day, for that matter. Waterproof microphones & speakers exist, nautical radios have had them since forever and even the Yaesu VX line has them.

7 Likes

Hi, Indeed the remarks about water/rain resistance of non trx items are true, for external waterproof equipment one could look into nautical and military items. May be even for watertight encasings one could could look into diving and underwater photography equipment. Something custom made (always expensive)?

Available in the EU soon… 890 euro!

Indeed, had contact with the guys behind Lab599 and they confirmed they they will do businee with PileupDX.com. They opened the option to pre-order this transceiver. Delivery should start somewhere half september. The radio is already FCC approved but they are now waiting for CE approval.
I did the pre-order and start waiting for delivery. No payment in advance. Pileup will send from Sweden so shipping costs will be added to the price menrioned of 890 euro.

1 Like

HRO also is saying “mid September” for shipments to begin. We’ll see. Currently priced at $790

Barry N1EU

1 Like

Just saw this here a few ago. Also a couple of other videos at the bottom of the page.

Says he has it on loan from HRO. Demo’s the CW memory keyer as well…

Todd KH2TJ