NARSA (Blackpool) Rally

Sorry Dave. I really hesitate and struggle with this having to make a decision every time your callsign comes up. It’s because of a local amateur also called Dave G4EEV who I’ve known since 1984. Odd because I know who you are ever since you appeared on the front cover of the Radcom with that massive 2m vertical, not to mention Mickle Fell. I’ll try to get it right in future. It’s rotten when folks mince your callsign. I get it too. Usually GXO000/P or some variation. HI.

Correct now I hope!!
73, John.

Oh NO! Tom had to correct it again for me (see below). Now I’m really struggling. I have it as all sorts: G4EEV, G4EVV, G0EEV and G0EVV in various places. This process has now wiped out Dave Mappin’s callsign (QTH Filey) in what’s left of my brain too. I’ll have to work him soon to get that right as he’s not in QRZ seemingly. Fortunately you are Dave.

Sorry!

John - I’d already used my admin powers to correct Dave’s callsign. Your edit made it wrong again!

I’ve just re-edited it - it is now correct.

I’ve tweaked the title and category to make better sense as this thread matures. No doubt I will have banjaxed something as usual…

It was a good rally for me as I got to see lots of SOTA people and to eat Audrey’s cakes (delicious as usual). For me, the rally is primarily a social event… meet SOTA folk and to spend some time with my good friend Geoff G6MZX and his xyl Joan. Both accomplished. I thought there was a distinct lack of some usual traders and the bring and buy was very reduced in items. A lot of people were trying to sell total tat that I would be ashamed to throw in the skip never mind try and sell. It looks like it is moving more to a social event with many stands being club or special interest groups such as the SOTA stand, NW Fusion, WAB etc. I did find a few bits of RG-400 cable with N and SMA connectors, some curios and cornucopia. I didn’t see anyone selling coax off the reel but I wasn’t looking hard.

The venue was tired and sorry when I started visiting the rally in 1990 and it doesn’t look like anything has been done in the last 28 years!

They tweeted saying they thought it was the best Norbreck rally ever!

https://twitter.com/lamcomms/status/990868207102816256

I had swimming lessons at the Norbreck sometime in the 1960s. Coming back half a century later, I was amazed by how much I recognised. That says something about how little has been done.

Pity we couldn’t make it this year; we’d hoped to but the timing was all wrong.

Martyn M1MAJ

Indeed. The absence of both W+S (or whatever they call themselves nowadays) and Radioworld might not have been great news for the consumer, but as i inferred above, was probably a terrific business situation for LAMCO!

Attendance was pleasing - really good numbers through the door. The general mood was good too; it was an enjoyable and successful day.

The venue is poor though, and with the introduction of hefty parking charges, for which exhibitors will not be exempt (so I hear), I imagine a significant change next year - either in venue, or in attendance (traders, clubs and visitors).

They would have come in handy if you had visited the gents toilets.

Norbreck’s new mission statement should be:

We aim to please. You aim too, please!

3 Likes

I thought I was going (even further) out of my mind!!! Thanks Tom for fixing it (TWICE).

Thanks for additional photos.

I think I should be forgiven. There’s no wonder I can’t learn Dave’s callsign properly!
G4EEV: Dave Warwick who used to run our 70cm repeater 1 mile away.
G0EEV: Lives 2 miles from me in Cayton, Scarborough.
G0EVV: Our SOTA activator who attended at the rally.

I don’t know any of them anymore so standby for some more mistakes.
John.

1 Like

The venue was tired and sorry when I attended a New Year party in 1976 and it doesn’t look like anything has been done in the last 42 years!

Just read the whole thread with great pleasure. Looks like it was a great SOTA gathering. Happy for you, guys…

4 Likes

Thanks Zoran,
Hope you’ll be in the photos next year!
73, John

Thanks John. Unfortunately I got another phone call today - 18th May cancelled. Will possibly be early June… date to be advised. Looks like I had better find a summit or two to keep fit. Best get planning!

73, Gerald G4OIG

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Gerald. My mum went through a similar experience a couple of years ago. I hope it happens soon for you.

1 Like

Hi Gerald,

I think you need to explain SOTA to them so they understand the planning required. Oh, and don’t forget to let them know about bonus points system to so they don’t mess you around with that.:smile:

Good luck on the day when it eventually happens
Compton

1 Like