Naismith's rules

In reply to G4ERP:

I turned back on what looked like a
viable minor road when the grass in the centre of the “road”
became indistinct amongst the mud and washed-out gravel.

Hi Richard,

Decisions have to taken on the spur of the moment. Discretion is the better part of… no use trying to use your mobile phone to summon the AA or RAC from some areas of Wales as there is just no phone coverage. Besides, they’d probably baulk at recovery from a quagmire!

Pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable day out. I was walking with friends attacking The Long Mynd the honourable way from the valley below at Church Stretton. Most enjoyable. Just one QSO on 2m FM while lunch was going down… and that from outside of the AZ! Need to keep up my uniques record.

I didn’t make my friends stick to Naismiths modified by anything less than x 3, Hi.

73, Gerald

In reply to G8ADD:

In reply to GW7AAV:
“You seem to have missed out the bit about the forward roll and
rear end slide both of which have been known to knock several minutes
of people’s decent times and can even lead to getting a free flight in
a helicopter, when done with enough style.”

Ah, now you are talking about free-style speed descents!:slight_smile:

I’ve had a very close look at the free style flying descent method (off the Bristly Ridge, Glyder Fach) done with plently of style and buckets of claret (a long story which I only tell with a beer in my hand). I really don’t recommend it. Got him the free helicopter ride though!

Mick 2E0MCV

In reply to M3MCV:

I witnessed Barry 2E0PXW purposely descend GW/NW-051 in darkness by the “direct route method”, on his backside in mud & ice, total descent time 2.5 minutes and he was grinning like a cheshire cat at the bottom.

The nice man in the white coat said he is better now and the straight jacket has since been removed;-)

Mike GW0DSP