N7UN Trip Report for the W2/Greater Catskills, NY

First of all, the wx couldn’t be better for a late fall weekend. Day temps in the 60’s (16-18C) and relatively light winds both days! The fall leaf color show was at its peak! And thanks to the many Europeans that I worked during these two days!

1. Kaaterskill High Peak W2/GC-008: Tough climb on an unmarked, unmaintained trail. Had about 4 moderate scrambles up rock walls. The south side top had a great vista overlooking the Hudson Valley. Got setup on 40m for an attempted schedule for S2S activators in the NE but it was jam packed with PA QSO Party stations that were just plain loud with me. Had some nice openings into EU on 20m and the same on 30m. It was a long 12 mile (19.4 km) overall day with an elevation gain of 2,100 ft (640m). I was one tired puppy at the end of that day and the campground tent/sleeping bag was more than welcome! More summit detail at Hiking in the mountains: tips for beginner hikers - Mountain Day

2. Hunter Mtn W2/GC_002: I choose the easiest route, 8 mile (12.9 km) round trip. It was really nice to hike an old fire road into the summit. Although the road was quite rocky in places, no rock walls or scrambles! The steepest section climbs 1000 ft in 0.7 miles (304 m/ 1.3 km) although. But a beautiful day, temps in low 60’s, very sunny, and light winds. Hunter has a 60’ firetower which was a nice support for my dipole. Had a great run into Eu working a lot of SOTA stations and a number of stateside guys too. Stayed until 4 pm local time to maximize the great antenna support! See Hiking in the mountains: tips for beginner hikers - Mountain Day for more detailed information.

Trip pictures at http://picasaweb.google.com/n7un.guy

All in all, with the beautiful fall colors at peak in the Catskills, you couldn’t ask for a much better SOTA weekend.

In reply to N7UN:
Great pictures… I need to get out this Autumn !

Andrew, K1YMI

In reply to N7UN:

Bravo!

Hunter was one of the hardest ones ive done… of course I took the most difficult trail up haha!

In reply to N7UN:

Thanks for the report. I’m determined to catch up with you for an s2s before too long.

Richard
G3CWI

In reply to K2FR:

Yes, the Spruceton road/trail was very pleasant. One steep section for 0.7 miles but still a road. I’ve hiked Becker Hollow and the Devil’s Path Loop and they are rough. Becker Hollow is really beautiful in the early morning when the east sun shines up the gorge, esp. this time of the year!

In reply to G3CWI: Hey Richard, thanks. Plan an outing Nov 13th for the North American SOTA Day. We’re trying to get all NA Activators out not only to have fun and complete a number of S2S qso’s but also to raise awareness in the US and Canada of SOTA activities.

73, Guy
N7UN

In reply to N7UN:
There will be at least one new VE association by then. Its not the one you may be thinking about hi…

CU!