My First CW Activation - G/DC-002

Ludwig, thank you, going for a much slower speed seems to be the answer. :slight_smile:
John

I wonder if any memory keyers can deal with farnsworth?
my CW is still at extreme newbie status and i currently can only copy about 15wpm characters with huge (5WPM) gaps between them
its also really hard to explain that over CW that i want longer gaps between letters not slower dots and dahs (in fact if they are too slow it makes it super hard!)

1 Like

I own this keyer…

…having a selectable way to record the memory messages. Either exactly as they are produced by the user (farnsworth) or with the exact spacing corresponding to the used wpm speed.
I guess other keyers also offer this option but not all probably.

Guru

1 Like

Hi John,
I see that exactly how @DL1CR it motivates me to do Morsecode :slight_smile:

1 Like

I learned the basics with the app Morse Mania. I used this to learn to recognise the letters and numbers. For more advanced training Morse Runner is good but it only works on a PC. RufzXP is an evil PC program :slight_smile: which plays callsigns and gets faster and faster if you respond correctly.

All the advice is not to learn at too slow a speed because you shouldn’t be counting dots and dashes but recognising the sound of the character. I would start at around 15 wpm but as I learned on this activation on a summit you may need to go slower. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Send that way… If you send 15wpm characters but with big gaps then the other side should pick up on the fact you are sending differently. Good operators see how their QSO partners work and try to get a QSO by adapting.

3 Likes

Excellent progress and very bold! I am where you are right now with CW/Morse and this has inspired me to give it a go! I also agree that bigger gaps between characters helps a lot. Individual characters at 17-20 WPM no problem. Only when they are run together closely, problems arise for me.

Erik
KE8OKM

3 Likes

Shack. I send “Q…R…S” and they usually get the message. My QRS is 15+wpm but the spacing is what I exaggerate. Remember, the chaser wants the points too.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this John.
I really enjoyed the recording. I have played it back a few times and found it great practice for CW on SOTA. I really struggled to read HB9CBR/P on first try and 1 & J of OK1JKR didn’t make sense at first.

Wonder how you recorded it, as its very clear. Is it a function of the Icom IC-705?

1 Like

Yes, the IC-705 has an SD card slot and you can set it to record what it hears onto the card. I think the KX2/3 have a similar facility.

2 Likes