I recently enhanced the My Uniques display on the database. This was based on requests from Rod M0JLA and I think that for activators the changes are an improvement as there is more functionality. I made the same changes to the Chaser display to offer the same extra functionality. I also made one other change which was to limit the number of summits displayed to a maximum of 500. This was for operational reasons. Some chasers are getting very big unique counts and displaying all the uniques on one page was bad as it required significant amounts of memory of to generate, process and display. It’s ok if there was only one database user but the database app has to serve multiple concurrent users and I am fairly sure that a significant number of requests for a big unique display at the same time would cause memory issues. And anyway, it’s not a good idea to have unbounded limits to the number of items being displayed.
Having played with this, I think the overall usability for chasers has been reduced. I’ve received a few comments asking for the old unlimited display to be reinstated. Well I cannot do that for the reasons already given but I am prepared to try to add something to improve the usability to where it used to be. My idea is to add a “Have I chased/activated this summit” feature. My thinking was to display a box into which you type a full or partial summit reference/name and hit search, much the same as the Find Summit feature ( http://www.sotadata.org.uk/summitReport.aspx ) The page would show all summits you had chased or activated that matched the search string. This would save having to search through pages of summits in a chasers case.
That’s my take on how to restore the usability but if anyone has a better idea or suggestion well now is the time to let me now by commenting here.
Note there’s no timescale for this yet but sooner rather than later is my aim.